One year old Mten3 suddenly not turning on

egress123

Hello all. I’ve searched on this site and googled everywhere but I can’t find any article or posting that describes the same symptom as mine. 

I’ve had my Mten3 since March of last year. I’ve ridden it only handful times since it is my 4th wheel. Today, I took out the fully charged wheel for a ride for about 2 miles. I parked it for about 30 minutes and turned it on to ride it.  It didn’t turn on.  No matter what I did, it just did not turn on. 
I brought it back home and plugged into the wall, then used Darkness Bot to connect via Bluetooth. The battery was showing 88% but the temperature was showing 356f!!   (Is this a bug in the app?  ). When I put my ear next to the wheel, I hear faint noise of a fan running inside. 

I know about fire issues with Mten3 so now I’m charging it outside.  

has anyone had this issue before?  What could be a possible issue??

thanks for your help. 

11 minutes ago, chanman said:

Parked it, as in left on? Possibly got stuck against something with the motor engaged and drawing current?

No. I just turned it off land left it on the ground.  

it is charging fine though. Just does not turn on. 

I just contacted Jason from eWheels (he was super fast on responses!) and was told that the controller board most likely died.. 

Is this a common issue with Mten3?  this is frustrating.  I rarely rode the wheel.  it doesn't even have 50 miles on it.. 

9 hours ago, egress123 said:

I just contacted Jason from eWheels (he was super fast on responses!) and was told that the controller board most likely died.. 

Is this a common issue with Mten3?  this is frustrating.  I rarely rode the wheel.  it doesn't even have 50 miles on it.. 

It might be the controller (the wacky temperature reading is suspect) but it might be the power switch or its wiring too. Your wheel is low mileage and the infant mortality failures might not have happened yet... to help you feel worse, mine hasn't had issues of any sort. In general the MTen is reasonably well built, but it's still an assembly of parts and things do go wrong.

I would open it up and validate that the power switch is all ok, then you're down to the controller. It's sad but true: Hardware will break. Hopefully yours is a case of a 2 cent switch.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

It might be the controller (the wacky temperature reading is suspect) but it might be the power switch or its wiring too. Your wheel is low mileage and the infant mortality failures might not have happened yet... to help you feel worse, mine hasn't had issues or any sort. In general the MTen is reasonably well built, but it's still an assembly of parts and things do go wrong.

I would open it up and validate that the power switch is all ok, then you're down to the controller. It's sad but true: Hardware will break. Hopefully yours is a case of a 2 cent switch.

thanks for the input.  yes.  I'll open up the wheel and inspect the switch first.  that sounds like a logical first step.

• Like 1