Best ways to add padding / protection?

360rumors

What are the best ways you’ve found for adding protection / padding to your wheel? Kindly specify where you got the materials, which adhesive you used, how you like your method. Thanks!

Roll.nz on the 16X

And I used a beach blanket tied on with shoestrings for the MTen because I didn't want to scuff up its Roll.nz when I was figuring out how to ride the dang thing.

S18 is on its own.

The self stick "baby bumper" stuff on amazon is popular, it's used to stick on furniture and corners so baby doesn't crack their head when they're toddling around.

Yoga mats and duct/gorilla tape are tried and true effective. Ugly as sin, but that's eye of the beholder stuff.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Roll.nz on the 16x

Thanks! I saw the roll.nz but I was wondering if they would be strong enough or could give sufficient protection? They seem too thin to give meaningful protection?

The baby bumper is popular but they are so soft that they work for only a few hard impacts before they tear. 

re yoga mats, what kind of adhesive would be strong enough that would not leave permanent marks on the wheel cover?

Yoga mat, door mat, anything really. With double sided tape. The one which looks like regular tape.. Not the "thick" one.

(You need to clean surface with alcohol or sprite first - to remove oils. That way it will stick better.)

I personally have gone with yoga mat. My dad has used door mat - the rubber+mesh one. If you take your time cutting/connecting pieces end product looks good.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

I was wondering if they would be strong enough or could give sufficient protection?

They are expensive, but fantastic for protection and they wear like iron. Mine is looking tattered now, coming up on 2 years and 3000 miles... learning, trails, snow, mud take their toll. I should probably get a new one just to spiff the old hoss up.

Nah.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

They are expensive, but fantastic for protection and they wear like iron. Mine is looking tattered now, coming up on 2 years and 3000 miles... learning, trails, snow, mud take their toll. I should probably get a new one just to spiff the old hoss up.

Nah.

Nothing can beat "Doormat" NOTHING! - You put that thing once on and forget. Maybe once a month you need to "touch" some places up, as tape comes loose.. If you use "real" glue. You won't need to do anything. :D After 5000km looks the same as first day.

It's a doormat - people walk over it. :D 

• Like 1