S18 makes groaning noise when it hits bumps

360rumors

Hi I bought a used S18 and discovered that it makes a groaning noise (plus some vibration) when it hits big bumps. If I stop riding, the noise stops until I hit a bump again. Any ideas what’s wrong with this? Is it a broken motherboard?

See 0:21 of the video 

I don’t think It is a problem with bearings or axle because it stops when I pause my ride. The noise reminds me of when some of my other EUCs does an emergency brake. So I’m wondering if somehow the motherboard is stuck trying to stop the wheel from slamming me forward. 

Edited by 360rumors

You can hear from the video how the tire rubs against something and it happens when you go up or down the curb. There may be a problem with faulty suspension that doesn't work as it should, because if you get off the unicycle, the situation stabilizes. I would first look at the suspension, how it works and what's going on there. Many have had to rebuild the S18's suspension because of problems with it. If there is nothing wrong with it, there must be something else rubbing against the tire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The noise is speed dependent.

It resets when you stop riding and take weight off.

The sound seems it is being made by the tyre tread making contact.

Maybe the suspension is not 'pushing back up' the body after a bump?

Maybe need to add more air pressure to the rebound chamber?

Edited by Paul A
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Wolverine and @Paul A!  I tried locking the suspension and the groaning noise went away, so you guys were correct.  Hopefully with the right setting, the noise will go away.

• Like 2