EUC World - voice issue caused by phone switching to Google text to speech service

I have a Note 8 and a recent update included switching the phone to use Google text to speed service instead of the default Samsung text to speech service. The voice is a higher pitch, and "yards" becomes "yz", "minutes" becomes "minimum", "miles per hour" becomes "miles 8". After finding this setting under language | text to speech, I switched it back to "default", then disabled Google text to speech service, which also uninstalled it. The voice is now back to normal, and the speech is now correct.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, rcgldr said:

I have a Note 8 and a recent update included switching the phone to use Google text to speed service instead of the default Samsung text to speech service. The voice is a higher pitch, and "yards" becomes "yz", "minutes" becomes "minimum", "miles per hour" becomes "miles 8". After finding this setting under language | text to speech, I switched it back to "default", then disabled Google text to speech service, which also uninstalled it. The voice is now back to normal, and the speech is now correct.

Starting with 2.16 EUC World by default enforce use of Google Text-to-Speech engine, as older versions of Samsung TTS are not compatible. This incompatibility caused speech to not work on many Samsung phones. But if Samsung TTS bundled with your phone worked for you, you can set EUC World to use system-default TTS engine (Sounds & Speech -> Speech engine -> Default). Just make sure that Samsung Speak is set as a default TTS engine in Android settings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seba said:

if Samsung TTS bundled with your phone worked for you, you can set EUC World to use system-default TTS engine

It's probably phone specific, in my case a Note 8. The strange thing was the Google TTS got worse on my phone. Initially the only issue was "yards" becoming "yz" at 1000 or more yards. Then a week or so ago, "minutes" became "minimum" and "miles per hour" became "miles 8", probably due to a Google TTS update. For my Note 8, it's working fine using the native Samsung TTS service.

• Like 1