First long ride observations

agranner

Welcome to the wonderful world of EUC’s. It was this time last year I was making my first forays on my shiny new 16s.

Twelve months and over a thousand miles later I’m still enjoying myself. Finding the sweet spot on the pedals (which changes depending on the grade - more forward on steep uphills/ back on steep downhills) is something that’ll come with time. 
Shifting your feet on the pedals while riding is a trick in itself.
Wouldn’t hurt to look the wheel over closely for alignment. 

Best,

• Like 1

@OldFartRides, yes foot placement is what I’m working on now. I’m finding that “put your foot centered on the pedal” is not quite right but I get why that’s where you have to start. Lately I’ve been putting my feet farther forward and that is a lot better both for the comfort (seems to shift weight to my heel more, less fatigue) and controlling the wobble which seems to be about really “pressing down” equally and steadily on the pedals. 

I think it’s great how detailed the tiny motions in my foot are in control. I’m gripping with my calves a lot less and soaking up bumps. Already I don’t hesitate to ride down a curb. 

I’m taking it on the bus for the last 3 miles to work and I’m loving it. 50 miles on the wheel now.

thanks!

Regulating euc pedals in software to -+1,2 degree (Front of pedal looks higher, back of pedal lower) will let you put the feet right in middle, also less leaning forwards needed to start gaining speed. Less strain on feet, because less leaning forwards. So much better than having pedals at level position.

At 0 pedal position, i wanted to put half feet over pedal.. As i needed to lean to much and it made my feet hurt. (Front part of the feet around ankles)

Also turning left and turning right (The leg that you start is "dominant") So it easier to turn with it.. Something to do with it. Same as eating with fork, or writing with pen - Left, Right arm. One is dominant.

Edited by Funky
  • Thanks 1

Finding one leg dominant over the other, is normal. I tend to set a slight rear tilt AND stand towards the front. Of course, Im usually going forwards and my power pads keep the emergency stop ability a no brainer. There are times when I stand a bit further back (downhill). Tbh, its almost impossible to step up to the exact middle every time, even once you are good at a prolonged one legged start. Using your skill of riding one legged is used to reposition feet easily and often. Even tho I am typically a little off the front, I ALWAYS find myself micromanaging foot posisition, even on spiked pedals. Flat shoes are my friend.

4 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Finding one leg dominant over the other, is normal. I tend to set a slight rear tilt AND stand towards the front. Of course, Im usually going forwards and my power pads keep the emergency stop ability a no brainer. There are times when I stand a bit further back (downhill). Tbh, its almost impossible to step up to the exact middle every time, even once you are good at a prolonged one legged start. Using your skill of riding one legged is used to reposition feet easily and often. Even tho I am typically a little off the front, I ALWAYS find myself micromanaging foot posisition, even on spiked pedals. Flat shoes are my friend.

xD i normally place my foot and forget.. Dominant (Right leg) little bit over front of a pedal, as i use my right leg as a "gas" pedal. And left one is placed right in middle of pedal.

Then again i take my sweet time placing my left leg.. I don't simple jump on before i lose my balance.

On 3/1/2022 at 12:04 PM, agranner said:

People with dogs are mostly good about drawing up the leash when you go by them, but they can’t hear you at all. I got in the habit of calling out “on your left” and obviously slowing down.

It’s really hard to put your foot down exactly in the middle of the pedal front-to-back. 

I'm always cautious around dogs even if they're on a leash. Calling out and slowing down is a good habit for leashed dogs, don't want a leash flinging you off the wheel. As for the foot thing even after 3000 miles I get my right foot correct before mounting and then adjust my left foot after mounting. Can't always get the perfect foot placement off rip but it only takes a few seconds to wiggle my foot into the best spot, and the more miles you put in the easier it'll be. To make it easier I recommend kicking the wheel forward like a skateboard or scooter, and gradually increasing the distance before you have to place down your left foot onto the ground. From a few inches to a few feet, with practice you'll increase that distance and learn to ride putting most if not all of your pressure on one foot, making adjustments on the fly much easier

• Like 1