I want to run an online hoverboard store, would that be a good idea?

claud

I see most people talking about these big things now like e-bikes/e-motorcycles/EUCs, but as an entrepreneur I wanted to start with a small investment and hoverboards were one of my choices, I did my research and this seems to be more popular in the east and is only searched for as a kids birthday gift/Christmas gift, the market doesn't seem to be good at the moment. But strangely enough, this thing has always been around. I can't analyze anything more than that, can anyone give better advice?

I don't know the market opportunity, or your objectives but will tell you that I get the feeling that hoverboards have seen their day. Sure, some will continue to sell, but they always were kind of a novelty and the 'fun' wears off quickly because there's little practical use for them—even for kids. Given their history, finding a manufacturer that has a solid enough product so that you won't be mired in warranty issues may be a good place to start. You don't want to be sued for selling a product that burns someone's house down, nor do you want 'any' returns for warranty (I'm thinking the margins won't be that great).

Do your research—it might well be a solid idea. I'd recommend caution though... be sure you can afford worst case sales numbers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

I don't know the market opportunity, or your objectives but will tell you that I get the feeling that hoverboards have seen their day. Sure, some will continue to sell, but they always were kind of a novelty and the 'fun' wears off quickly because there's little practical use for them—even for kids. Given their history, finding a manufacturer that has a solid enough product so that you won't be mired in warranty issues may be a good place to start. You don't want to be sued for selling a product that burns someone's house down, nor do you want 'any' returns for warranty (I'm thinking the margins won't be that great).

Do your research—it might well be a solid idea. I'd recommend caution though... be sure you can afford worst case sales numbers.

Yes, the investigation continues, but it's not easy to find a suitable product now that all markets are so competitive. If there was really no market for this project, I think I would give up on it, but to be honest this product has never been innovative, Segway obviously does a better job with hoverboards.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Personally, I only see 'hoverboards' as toys, do you too??? I would not ride one but at the same token, the addition of the hoverkart would be fun to have and use....I actually almost had a hover cart but the seller was a scammer....all the children I see with the hoverboard didn't have nor knew of the kart, that's too bad...I even seen one young woman tried to use the thing to get home one dark night, but she was stuck and was going no where fast, probably on low battery....it's not a transportation device...

Edited by MetricUSA