Which commuter wheel to get?

I got hit by a car, my fault for riding on wrong side of street, and my kingsong 18L is not in perfect condition.  The 18L served me very well.  I'm thinking of getting another wheel.  I'm eyeing the kingsong s18.  Is there something else I should look at?  I'm 215 pounds.  Don't do much fancy except ride back and forth to destination, which is usually work 1.5 miles.  I value a light wheel so I can easily toss in car a few times a year.  I like the 18L over my previous v8 because the ride was much smoother and the wheel was much faster.  I really like how s20 looks, but too expensive and too heavy.  Any thoughts?

Edited by DanCar

Wow that sucks about the accident, good thing you're okay.

I think the s18 would make a great choice, especially around now where everyone is getting rid of them in preparation for the s20. I've seen them as low as $1,300, up to $1,700 with a warranty, and most looked to be in pretty good shape, some pristine.

Since you value light wheels and your commute is only a mile and a half, you might seriously want to give some thought to the mten3 or the mcm5. I bought a used mten3 for $500 early last year and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It's the only wheel you can toss in a backpack, and as long as you stick with the 84V version, it will cruise in the low 20s. Granted there are any number of people who don't like to take it that fast, but I did hundreds of miles at those speeds fwiw. Such a fun wheel at any speed really. You could also go a little faster and add a trolley handle with an mcm5. If you got used to the stability of an 18-inch wheel than the 1600 ali msx was still around last time I checked. 2000 if you want one shipped from the US Warehouse, but at that kind of money you can get an RS instead for roughly the same price. The RST goes faster then you were used to, is a bit heavier but not by a lot and has considerably more range and has a hollow motor that you could jump curbs or anything else all day at your weight. You need to spend time waterproofing an RS though for maximum flexibility, I wouldn't worry much about the others in light rain.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DanCar said:

Any suggestions on how to buy a used S18 or one with warranty and discount?

My S18 is for sale in eBay and still under warranty until June 16, 2022 from eWheels. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224810274819

Let me know if you have any question. 

Edited by FrenchUsa
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DanCar said:

Any suggestions on how to buy a used S18 or one with warranty and discount?

Either keep checking the classifieds here and the facebook euc marketplace, or post a WTB (wanted to buy) in either or both. Example:

WTB used S18. Local and/or wheels under warranty preferred

The s20 is coming soon. With the Abrams, the Commander, the X-Men and now the Master also likely to be riding options this spring, you are figuring it's probably time to unload your S18. In-person transactions are always best, but I will consider getting one shipped from the right person through PayPal goods and services ONLY. Getting one still under warranty if you are the original owner bought from ewheels or alien rides is preferred. Lightly ridden with no issues and low miles would be best.

Buying from someone who is known in the group is generally a better bet. People might attempt to scam you, and if you feel uncomfortable about buying used, I would email both ewheels and alien rides tell them you are looking for a used s18 that was bought from them still under warranty, do they have any tips? Ask them if they ever come across any used wheels themselves, and if there might be a sale on a new s18, especially with so many new Wheels coming out. Probably not, but it can't hurt to ask.

Good luck!

PS I took a quick look at the one FrenchUsa posted and that looks like a nice deal for starters.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BecauseFun said:

Either keep checking the classifieds here and the facebook euc marketplace, or post a WTB (wanted to buy) in either or both. Example:

WTB used S18. Local and/or wheels under warranty preferred

The s20 is coming soon. With the Abrams, the Commander, the X-Men and now the Master also likely to be riding options this spring, you are figuring it's probably time to unload your S18. In-person transactions are always best, but I will consider getting one shipped from the right person through PayPal goods and services ONLY. Getting one still under warranty if you are the original owner bought from ewheels or alien rides is preferred. Lightly ridden with no issues and low miles would be best.

Buying from someone who is known in the group is generally a better bet. People might attempt to scam you, and if you feel uncomfortable about buying used, I would email both ewheels and alien rides tell them you are looking for a used s18 that was bought from them still under warranty, do they have any tips? Ask them if they ever come across any used wheels themselves, and if there might be a sale on a new s18, especially with so many new Wheels coming out. Probably not, but it can't hurt to ask.

Good luck!

PS I took a quick look at the one FrenchUsa posted and that looks like a nice deal for starters.

I agreed with you, I had peoples ask me pay PP friend/family "do not do that". 

I have Veteran Sherman and S18. I gave deposit for S20, for that reason i am selling my S18. I am also looking to buy MTen3 or KS14D for fun on parking lot and short range. I heard they are very fun to ride due to size and light weight.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FrenchUsa said:

I agreed with you, I had peoples ask me pay PP friend/family "do not do that". 

I have Veteran Sherman and S18. I gave deposit for S20, for that reason i am selling my S18. I am also looking to buy MTen3 or KS14D for fun on parking lot and short range. I heard they are very fun to ride due to size and light weight.

In-person the mten3 looks small enough to be a toy, but it is such a powerful and fun little wheel. I've always wanted to try an mcm5 and mod it slightly to fit a 3 inch tire so I think that will be my next backup wheel. Having both an mten3 and an mcm5 someday might end up being ideal. Luckily I live in an area where most places I go are less than 2 miles away, so always having a smaller wheel around to choose would be a great option. I still look for any excuse to hop on my 18XL, so much fun to carve, but I definitely miss the torquey nimbleness of my mten3.

Edited by BecauseFun
Typos, clarity

My mten3 is holding up with my weight. I'm around 250 pounds and I have the 67 volt version. It has 350 miles on it. I usually don't go past 15mph. My average speed is 12mph. That's the same speed as my 36er pedal unicycle. I can go faster on the pedal unicycle but 12mph is my cruise speed. I've hit 19mph once on the mten3 and it felt very sketchy.

• Like 2