Latest Sherman - How Easy to Pedal Scrape?

lazybones99

Can anyone comment on how easy it is to scrape the pedals on the latest version of the Sherman? (V3?)

I am looking to buy my 2nd wheel and the new Sherman Max is at the top of my list BUT I seriously injured my ankle while learning on my V10 from a big pedal scrap while getting really aggressive on some figure 8’s. Needless to say I would like to avoid pedal scraping while still riding the way I want to ride ;)

Edited by lazybones99
Typo

It's fairly difficult to pedal scrape the V10/V10F thanks to its fairly high pedals and absence of pedal dipping in turns, unless you set the pedal sensitivity to very soft settings and accelerate during the turn.

In comparison, the Sherman (any versions) have undefeatable pedal dipping in turns as well as lower pedals than the Inmotion wheel. Therefore more pedal scrape to be anticipated.

It's manageable including for off-road as long as it's not super technical but not the right wheel if pedal scraping safety is at the top of your priorities.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 3

I dont know about the Max, but the sherman scrapes easily. I have updated hangers and nylonove pedals. They are low enough that you need be mindful if you ride off road. Im no stranger to scraping ALL my pedals on all my wheels and I dont care. On the street, scrapes dont grab, so its nothing but a sound. The sherman is pretty damn low tho, so offroad its more a technical challenge. Of course, I don't consider groomed dirt and grass as off-road. Dirt and rocks dont always slide as easily as pavement. Coupled with the issue of burnout on inclines and being 80lbs... yeah the sherman aint really my goto for any serious offroad.

Now the sherman max has my interest, but I'm not too keen on owning multiple wheels that are eerily similar(mten excluded). I'm waiting to see how the Sherman max winds up. At the price point  of invest, I have high hopes. The original sherman was simple and had some very simple problems. Problems "easily" remedied, should they care enough to bother. Hopefully the max is more of the same, but with the simple details ironed out, and without added complexity that will f*ck it all up. It doesnt help to solve one problem and create another. Time will tell.

Isnt the sherm max also a different battery chemistry? Safer Bms, higher quality and stable batteries. THATS what Im really waiting on. Once something like that becomes industry standard, we'll only really have  color schemes to worry about. ATM, Im worried for my safety. NOT because Im an idiot. NOT because others are idiots. Simpy because I've opened enough of these to grasp the dice roll. HIgh stakes and a damn fun game tho!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Hopefully the max is more of the same, but with the simple details ironed out, and without added complexity that will f*ck it all up. It doesnt help to solve one problem and create another. Time will tell.

Isnt the sherm max also a different battery chemistry? Safer Bms, higher quality and stable batteries. THATS what Im really waiting on.

Added to what you mention above, the Sherman Max will also have a similar wider diameter axle/bearings as per the Abrams with the 3 bolt hole pedal hangers and the motor cables running through a keyway type slot (Photos courtesy of Ecodrift Abrams teardown):

Razbiraem-monokoleso-Veteran-Abrams-40.j

Razbiraem-monokoleso-Veteran-Abrams-41.j

Razbiraem-monokoleso-Veteran-Abrams-42.j

Razbiraem-monokoleso-Veteran-Abrams-44.j

Razbiraem-monokoleso-Veteran-Abrams-45.j

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

Thanks for the feedback.

I’m wondering now if my concern about the pedal scraping is a little overblown. It was more like a pedal bounce than a scrape :)
1) during my v10 crash I was turning and acceleration very aggressively.  I am guessing that the forward tilt from the acceleration made it worse and probably won’t make that mistake again.

2) I also was wearing THE WORST possible shoe choice for EUC. Minimalist vibram 5 fingers. Too much ankle freedom allowed an overly aggressive turn angle and zero ankle support. I wear 8” boots now so that alone will reign in my turn angle.

Also if the Sherman max will piggy back on the abrams pedal/axle mount, do you think it will have the adjustable pedal angle like the abrams?

• Like 1