Studded tire for Sherman?

InfiniteWheelie

I want to do winter riding so I need a studded tire. Can anyone recommend one? Also what kind of tire does the Sherman use? Is it a moped or motorcycle tire or something? So I can check what kind of tires to look for. I really don't want to add my own studs. 

Edited by InfiniteWheelie

After more research it seems they may be hard or impossible to find. Adding studs isn't as hard as I thought, and the stock tire seems suited to that. I assumed you screwed them in from the inside, but it's actually from the outside making it much easier. So I'll probably just buy some studs.

I'm still curious though, what kind of tires does the Sherman use? Are they bicycle, moped, motorcycle etc?

13 hours ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

what kind of tires does the Sherman use? Are they bicycle, moped, motorcycle etc?

Motorcycle tires, with DOT load ratings.

Notes on studding:

On 1/6/2021 at 8:15 PM, Finn Bjerke said:

On 3/28/2020 at 8:12 PM, mrelwood said:

even these smallest studs puncture the inner tube, and seems that the studs had indeed worked their way inward to puncture the tube in multiple places, some of which were 1/4” long gashes.

I had no idea there had been any issues, as despite the mess (that washes away with water), Goop had been succesful in fixing all the punctures

I'm looking at these studs. They have carbide tips, a very wide helix to hold them in, and a flat inside end to avoid punctures. They seem to be the best quality I've found. They come in a 150 pack. After counting the knobs on the stock tire, 150 is enough for every second knob. The outermost knobs may not be tall enough though, because they slant shallower towards the outer edge.

https://www.gripstuds.com/1000_Tire_Stud.php

• 2 weeks later...

I have used these. The performance is great. Snow or plain ice is no trubble with studs. Might find better in your country perhaps, but the dimensions is mentioned so you can see what works.

BestGrip 1000 (best-grip.se)

I monted these on top of the outstanding parts of the stock tire.

Edited by zege

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2021 at 8:00 PM, zege said:

I have used these. The performance is great. Snow or plain ice is no trubble with studs. Might find better in your country perhaps, but the dimensions is mentioned so you can see what works.

BestGrip 1000 (best-grip.se)

I monted these on top of the outstanding parts of the stock tire.

Similar here but other brand, screw them into the Kenda 262, have to make sure they have a Tungsten core or they wont last long.