V12 immediately turns off

Don M. Schiewer

So I'm using firmware 1.5.0

As I was leaving my home today I had forgotten to put up the kickstand and as I walked my wheel down my steps it jolted the wheel (kickstand caught on top step) - not a seemingly big deal as it was not too hard...my wheel immediately shut off and would not turn back on.

I carried it back in the house and tried a few more times with zero response. I hooked it back up to the charger and it immediately showed the charging screen and I was able to access and engage functions via the app and v12 screen. I left it on the charger for a few minutes than unhooked it - stood it up straight and hit the power button. The device turned on immediately then immediately turned off.

I plugged it again and was able to access everything - I did a diagnostic (3 or 4x's) and got green checkmarks across the board. 

Any thoughts? **I am NOT an electrical engineer/nor an armchair mechanic -- I can build lego sets (most of the time)**

• Like 3

I am assuming all of the bad words have been spoken already? Sometime that helps.

4 minutes ago, Don M. Schiewer said:

I carried it back in the house

Does this mean that you couldn't roll in back in the house? I hope not, because if the wheel is frozen there's a high likelihood a MOSFET is blown. If the wheel does rotate freely, you might be in luck and it just blew a fuse (literally)... but I don't know what to suggest.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 3

Just now, Tawpie said:

I am assuming all of the bad words have been spoken already? Sometime that helps.

Does this mean that you couldn't roll in back in the house? I hope not, because if the wheel is frozen there's a high likelihood a MOSFET is blown. If the wheel does turn, you might be in luck... but I don't know what to suggest.

All the bad words plus some new ones.

I was able to roll it back into the house (powered off) but the wheel did feel a bit tighter than normal while doing so - not sure what that could/might mean...if anything.

The power is fine while plugged in and for a split second when I turn it on but then NOTHING.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don M. Schiewer said:

I was able to roll it back into the house (powered off)

Phew. A blown MOSFET = new control board, but typically a blown MOSFET makes it so the wheel won't turn at all.

So..... now it's time to contact your reseller and ask them what they suggest. This wheel is so new there's not a lot of troubleshooting knowledge outside of the dealers. And even the dealers don't have a ton of info.

Best of luck, I can't think of a worse way to start a Monday.

(you might want to try plugging it in, turning it on and going through the process you did when you first got it to turn off transportation mode/unlock the wheel... it's a very very long shot)

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

So..... now it's time to contact your reseller and ask them what they suggest. This wheel is so new there's not a lot of troubleshooting knowledge outside of the dealers. And even the dealers don't have a ton of info...

(you might want to try plugging it in, turning it on and going through the process you did when you first got it to turn off transportation mode/unlock the wheel... it's a very very long shot)

Just spoke with Jason and he says he thinks it is the controller. 

We'll see what happens - I did try and do what you suggested but to no avail. My biggest concern is that I don't want to have to operate on my wheel - I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn Express lately.

The worst part is that this is my only transportation at the moment. UGH.

yikes. I feel for you. If you do have to crack it open, make a video... achieve internet fame and fortune! In the V12 thread someone has had to get to the controller already because their wheel bricked during an update, check with them for destructions. The picture I saw made it appear that access was relatively easy.

• Like 1

I am not a DIYer but I was able to reach the control board. It took me about 2 hours. I used an inmotion video plus wrong way's video as references. (BTW his teardown video includes a bunch of stuff that is not required to take control board out such as batteries and tire stuff)

I am waiting for a new control board so cannot yet declare victory on being able to assemble the wheel back together.

What I'd say is that it looks daunting but at the end of the day its mostly just a ton of different screws. If you're careful about organizing them and using post it notes to remember which screws go where then the re-assembly shooooulllld be mostly straight forward?

Nevertheless totally not the way I wanted to start off my v12 ownership. But if I'm able to fix it on my own I'll sure feel a big sense of accomplishment.

Edited by ESB
  • Like 3

BTW shipping back to eWheels and having them do the surgery is likely an option as well. I felt like I had to open mine because Inmotion wanted me to take a video of the LED lights on the board to help with diagnosis. And now that I have it open I'm feeling like I may as well just do the board swap myself without needing to send it to eWheels etc.

3 hours ago, ESB said:

BTW shipping back to eWheels and having them do the surgery is likely an option as well. I felt like I had to open mine because Inmotion wanted me to take a video of the LED lights on the board to help with diagnosis. And now that I have it open I'm feeling like I may as well just do the board swap myself without needing to send it to eWheels etc.

Possibly but I’m gonna give it a go as this is my transportation so I need it back ASAP.

I’d love any updates on your progress and/or insights on the process.

1 hour ago, ESB said:

BTW @Don M. Schiewer have you tried holding power down for 30 seconds? Can you connect via bluetooth with the inmotion app? I think there's a Reset button in the app -- could try that?

I’ve not tried the 30 seconds…also the only reset I saw in app was for settings not a reset of the device…tell me where if I missed it.

I can’t use the app anymore so not sure.

if you do decide to open it the only tools I think you’ll need are 2mm, 3mm, 4mm Allen/hex wrenches. One step requires a long 3mm wrench that the typical IKEA style wrenches won’t reach.

I also used a flathead screwdriver to wiggle the heatsink out once all the screws were taken off. You’ll see them do that in the video below but it took more effort on my part  

take plenty of pictures along the way. Use separate plates or bowls with post it notes along the way to write down which screws go where.

This is the main video I used to follow along. They use a power tool but I was able to do it without one. Most screws were easy to remove.

video starts off by removing pedals with a hammer. I had a hard time doing that so I unscrewed them (ironically this is the part that took me the longest despite being a real feature of the wheel)

If you get the video of the LEDs you could send it to Jason and Inmotion to see if they can confirm that one or both of the boards needs to be replaced.

i know it looks overwhelming but I felt like it was all very doable once I was in the middle of it. Just a shitload of screws. And don’t get me wrong — this should not be seen as an okay thing to need to do on something that costs $2000+ dollars. But I keep telling myself that I knew the risk of getting a first batch wheel. People avoid first batch/year of new car models/generations too I guess. 

Edited by ESB
  • Like 3

I had this exact problem to the letter. It shut off, and while I could roll it around, the wheel does feel stiff, like it's being held in place almost. Do you hear something jiggling around in yours? In mine I can vaguely hear something jiggling around. I also found that if I put the wheel in transport mode, I can put it upright, then power it on and it stays on (not that useful obviously as it's still in transport mode and unable to actually be rideable. Turning transport mode off immediatly shut it off again. So it seems to be related to engaging the motor that causes the issue. I'm not an Electrical Engineer, but it does sound like it could be related to the controller like people mentioned. I didn't feel comfortable opening up my wheel, and my store is only a short distance from me and offered to have it shipped to them so they can do the repairs. Unfortunately their technician just quit last week without notice, so I'm also waiting until December when a new guy is supposed to start. To add I was also on 1.5.0, and I had been on that update for about a day. Seems to be directly related I think. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kerberos said:

I had this exact problem to the letter. It shut off, and while I could roll it around, the wheel does feel stiff, like it's being held in place almost. Do you hear something jiggling around in yours? In mine I can vaguely hear something jiggling around. I also found that if I put the wheel in transport mode, I can put it upright, then power it on and it stays on (not that useful obviously as it's still in transport mode and unable to actually be rideable. Turning transport mode off immediatly shut it off again. So it seems to be related to engaging the motor that causes the issue. I'm not an Electrical Engineer, but it does sound like it could be related to the controller like people mentioned. I didn't feel comfortable opening up my wheel, and my store is only a short distance from me and offered to have it shipped to them so they can do the repairs. Unfortunately their technician just quit last week without notice, so I'm also waiting until December when a new guy is supposed to start. To add I was also on 1.5.0, and I had been on that update for about a day. Seems to be directly related I think. 

Sucks you experienced this. Does sound identical. I’ve not noticed any rattling and will have to try the transport piece…new controller is hopefully shipping out to me asap as this is my “car”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...