Diagnosing a V10 failure

ZippyMaine

I'm trying to diagnose what to purchase to fix a 2018 V10.  Please help if you can. 

I recently bought a InMotion V10 for my son for his birthday. It's used and we got to try it out and use it quite a bit. It's from 2018 and really worked just fine. We used it for days. But now it's not and it simply plays "Please Repair" over the speaker. 

Just before it died, it started shaking a bit as I went to get on it. It still worked then but something was clearly making it shake for no known reason.  Then I went to use it again and it just shook like crazy as soon as I turned it on. Then it started saying "Please Repair" . 

I have not taken it apart in part because I know nothing of electronics and wouldn't know what to look for or how to test it. 

I sent a description of the issue and the serial number to INmotion. They said it needed a new "driver board".   OK, that's cool, but which one? So far, I've asked them for clarification but can't get any. 

So, do you have any thoughts on this? I've seen the video that shows how to replace the board, but I don't want to buy a board for about $300 and have it be the wrong board or not a board at all. 

Thanks for your help on this. I just love riding this thing and so does my son. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First DON'T BUY MOTHERBOARD, cause you are not 100% sure it's broken motherboard.

Please repair means that problem is hall sensors, there are some options that may cause this problem.

1. check wires that comes in to motor, look for any damadge in 5 thin cables.

2. Check hall voltage on motherboard it should be exactly 5v measure in hall sensor connector. If voltage is uder 5V it means that resistor nearby connector is burned, BUT this resistor burns when red and black wire was shortcut, so first repair wire and next replace resistor.

3. Try to turn around axle, i had 2 v10 wheels that axle was turned around of course cables was broken.

4. You need to use any powersupply from 3 to 5v (i use 1 x 18650 battery), connect + to red wire of hall sensors connector and - to black wire of hall sensors connector and measure voltage with multimeter between red wire and 3 colors, measure voltage and turn around rimm if voltage changes from 0 to 5v hall propably working if voltage is hold still 0 or 5 and doesn't react to turn rimm hall is broken.

5. DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID, YOUR WHEEL CAN BE FIXED WITH LOW COST.

On 12/2/2021 at 6:12 AM, evil696 said:

First DON'T BUY MOTHERBOARD, cause you are not 100% sure it's broken motherboard.

Please repair means that problem is hall sensors, there are some options that may cause this problem.

1. check wires that comes in to motor, look for any damadge in 5 thin cables.

2. Check hall voltage on motherboard it should be exactly 5v measure in hall sensor connector. If voltage is uder 5V it means that resistor nearby connector is burned, BUT this resistor burns when red and black wire was shortcut, so first repair wire and next replace resistor.

3. Try to turn around axle, i had 2 v10 wheels that axle was turned around of course cables was broken.

4. You need to use any powersupply from 3 to 5v (i use 1 x 18650 battery), connect + to red wire of hall sensors connector and - to black wire of hall sensors connector and measure voltage with multimeter between red wire and 3 colors, measure voltage and turn around rimm if voltage changes from 0 to 5v hall propably working if voltage is hold still 0 or 5 and doesn't react to turn rimm hall is broken.

5. DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID, YOUR WHEEL CAN BE FIXED WITH LOW COST.

Man! Thank you and I wish I had seen this before I went out and bought the motherboard. Which I put in and which did nothing. So I think you're right. Unfortunately for my skill level replacing the motherboard is about all I can do. However I do have a friend who's an electrical engineer and I will pass your note on with the EUC to him and see if he can bring it back to life. Thank you so much. I'll post back here once I find out what was wrong.

I repaired few Inmotion v10, if you change motherboard and new wheel still say please repair it means that you need to repair motor, it can be cable problem, or/and axle problem or hall sensor problem.

To repair motor you dont need to have special skills, just figure it out what happend. If i get some more free time i can guide you online to diagnose problem and maybe help you repair your wheel.

• 2 months later...

i have a v10f failure while driving it cut off . after open the driver board found a blown fuse and 2 mosfets burn from the yellow line of the motor. i already test the hall sensors but the yellow line coming from hall sensor  is showing 0v at any time no matter if i turn the wheel. i wold like to ask if some one have a photo of the hall sensor pcb and  the hall sensor referce number(41f ?????) . Hope someone could help me whit this information to order the exact hall replacement. thanks

• Like 1