Adding extra padding to battery pack?

Peteyditty

Does anybody think it would be a good idea to add extra foam padding and electrical tape inside the shell?

I have the RS19 and the battery pack plastic cover is getting some stretch marks. I was gonna put some electrical tape to cover those and wanted to add some more of those sticky foam pads that come inside to protect the wires and batteries better. Thoughts?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2021 at 4:37 PM, Peteyditty said:

Does anybody think it would be a good idea to add extra foam padding and electrical tape inside the shell?

I have the RS19 and the battery pack plastic cover is getting some stretch marks. I was gonna put some electrical tape to cover those and wanted to add some more of those sticky foam pads that come inside to protect the wires and batteries better. Thoughts?

Do it! In all my builds I use either 1/8" or 1/4" thick Neoprene sheets with adhesive on one side to make a cradle for my batteries. Works great and definitely helps with my peace-of-mind! You can get them on Amazon for between $10 and $30 a roll which will give you 7-8 square feet of padding that you can apply any way you like. I use strategic strips to cushion my battery packs, but even if you covered every square inch of the packs (or the spaces for them in the euc shell) you would still have a lot left over after buying a roll, so I think it's a good buy!  :thumbup:

18 hours ago, Arbolest said:

Do it! In all my builds I use either 1/8" or 1/4" thick Neoprene sheets with adhesive on one side to make a cradle for my batteries. Works great and definitely helps with my peace-of-mind! You can get them on Amazon for between $10 and $30 a roll which will give you 7-8 square feet of padding that you can apply any way you like. I use strategic strips to cushion my battery packs, but even if you covered every square inch of the packs (or the spaces for them in the euc shell) you would still have a lot left over after buying a roll, so I think it's a good buy!  :thumbup:

Thanks! Do you have a link by any chance? I was worried that adding additional padding inside might be bad for heat or ventilation.

This link has options for both 1/4" and 1/8", but the rolls are a little smaller than I'm used to.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WRMQ5ZV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Just remember that neoprene sometimes has a strong "rubber" smell when you take it out of the package that some people find unpleasant. It will go away eventually, but just be aware of it.