GW ACM2 dead! Wet charging port/sparks

MRV

I have zero knowledge about BMS.  Does this work like a circuit breaker?  Water got into the charging port of my ACM2 and I saw sparks after that it won't turn on anymore.  How do I reset this BMS?

• Like 1

Welcome!

42 minutes ago, MRV said:

How do I reset this BMS?

There is not something like a reset. It's self resetimg once all problems are resolved and nothing is broken...

43 minutes ago, MRV said:

Water got into the charging port of my ACM2 and I saw sparks

So the charging side was "shorted". Interesting that water can cause sparks! Must have been quite some dirt inside...

Could there have been some metal parts inside that got flushed between the pins?

Any chance water also entered the inside and not only the plug - there is a small pcb in many wheels just below the plug and the button.

Is some pin missing or bent/loose?

I'd strongly assume that the "water short" was not long enough that the cells themselves got damaged or even discharged too low?

But somehow i am missing a vision of what could have been/happened with water that caused sparks...

So just plugging in the charger could reset the BMS - just the plug/plug solder connection/charge wires should be thourougly checked before! (With disconnected batteries no connection between the pins/wires has to be assured. And solid connection between according wires and pins)

Could also be that some charge input cut off mosfets died...

More details about the exact configuration/wiring of the acm2 (like the msuper v2 of 2015 described in the first post?) could help?

I tried to plugin the charger after like an hour after it short circuited but then it killed my charger (no more red light or green light the lights went off) So I opened up the battery and tested the voltage coming out of the connections.  How do I do a reset here  inside the battery?

WPbdWwJ4TT5zJz1y3Ptbntt3tggS0PQS72Po-NoE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MRV said:

I tried to plugin the charger after like an hour after it short circuited but then it killed my charger (no more red light or green light the lights went off)

So there seems to be some solid short by now... :(

1 hour ago, MRV said:

How do I do a reset here  inside the battery?

As written before, there is no real reset for bms. Just remove the problem and for some states plug in the charger afterwards.

Or replace eventually broken bms components...

Something seems very broken and your posts  miss details - at least i don't get them...

To summarize:

- the charging port socket got wet.

Nothing else happened? Nothing else got wet?

- you saw sparks after that:

Where? What caused the sparks?

- the acm2 did not turn on anymore

- after about an hour you plugged in the charger which killed him.

- you opened the wheel and measured the battery voltages:

You unplugged all batteries and measured all connectors?

Which voltages were shown?

1 hour ago, MRV said:

Your google permissions seem to not allow us seeing your picture.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to replace the charge port with a new one and it solved the short circuit issue and I was able to fully charge the battery.  I found out the answer about the four wires LV and HV area from another question in this forum that it is just for to balance the 2 battery packs. There is power (80V) coming out of the battery going to the mainboard.  Since this is an 84V Wheel does that mean that I have a dead group of cell because my volt meter is only showing 80V.  Could that be the issue?   It still won't power on  it's just the tail lights that turns on with white lights not multi color and only while I'm pressing the switch.  I tried to bypass the switch and it just turns on the tail lights with the white lights.  Will the mainboard be affected if there's a short circuit in the charge port since it is not directly connected to the mainboard?  What other test can I do in order to isolate the problem?

Edited by MRV

2 hours ago, MRV said:

There is power (80V) coming out of the battery going to the mainboard.  Since this is an 84V Wheel does that mean that I have a dead group of cell because my volt meter is only showing 80V.  Could that be the issue

Yes, seems to be dead cells. Most likely just in one pack - if you try to charge one pack after another one of them could charge up to 84V again. If so _do not_ connect both packs again - 4V difference is way to much!

Beside less range and performance have an increased fire risk - so they/this pack should be repaired or replaced.

2 hours ago, MRV said:

Will the mainboard be affected if there's a short circuit in the charge port since it is not directly connected to the mainboard?

Should not, but as some  auxiliary voltages could be missing (some leds not working) a dc/dc comverter on the mainboard could be dead. Maybe by some led's (?pcb?) got wet, too.

Hard too say. Maybe try with lights, leds, chatge port and speaker (everything bit motor and hall sensors) unplugged. And "engage" the power by a contact at the connector instead of the power button.

Powered off i'd assume the motor is turning without resistance?

And the app is not connecting/finding the wheel once the tail light is on?