What would you get if you were me? (15k experience, retro purchase)

Hey guys. Here's an odd one for you. Several retro choices here.

I'm a small guy ~65kg riding in very urban areas. The speeds are always below 40km/h and the roads often bumpy. Because I'm tempted to upgrade my Tesla (which I'm immensely satisfied with) tire to a 3in wide tire, I'd like a backup wheel so I don't have to stress the upgrade which could take a couple of days/weeks.

I have a habit of buying older tech at good deals. I don't mind it. There's just so much of it. For a light guy like me, 2000 watts is like 3000 watts for a heavier dude anyway. Got the tesla 850wh a few years ago for 300usd and it's nearly perfect with a 2.5in tire. Now to the question:

What would you choose as the backup vehicle given the following choices: (I'm keeping the currency unknown so the perception is at the relative price. This because the question really is, would you pay nearly double the price to get an MSX? Is it that much better?)

Msuper V3S+ 1813Wh for 2600

MSX 1600Wh for 4000

MSX-100 1230Wh for 5000

Tesla v2 1480Wh for 3500

Tesla v2 425Wh for 2000 (I can upgrade the battery myself to ~1200Wh for like 500 + time/effort, lets call the cost 2500)

KS-16X for 4700

Thank you for reading and commenting. I'm really not about speed here. More so about cutout safety, road stability, and urban practicality. Even my 850Wh Tesla battery I don't really find that small. Sure, sometimes I need to charge twice in one day but I rarely find myself limping somewhere. It's an urban area and I can easily charge wherever I need to go.

I am a biased 16X owner... if you get a 16X I fear the Tesla will end up gathering dust because with a 16X you'll have a wheel with a 3" tire. Since you're not talking about range or speed, a used XS (with half the battery) is a viable choice BUT I'd still get the bigger battery. Safety margin is better, even at 40 kph.

But the 16X isn't the very best on terrible roads because it has a, well, 16" tire... perhaps an 18L or XL might fit your needs better.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I am a biased 16X owner... if you get a 16X I fear the Tesla will end up gathering dust because with a 16X you'll have a wheel with a 3" tire. Since you're not talking about range or speed, a used XS (with half the battery) is a viable choice BUT I'd still get the bigger battery. Safety margin is better, even at 40 kph.

But the 16X isn't the very best on terrible roads because it has a, well, 16" tire... perhaps an 18L or XL might fit your needs better.

Thanks. XS? What's that?

The KS-16XS is a KS-16X that has a zero watt hour foam "battery" in one side. Its battery capacity is 775 wH, it's a few kilos lighter and retails for about 500USD less than its big battery namesake. KingSong set the max speed down 3 mph to 28, but other than that it's identical to the KS-16X. It may have a slightly less powerful motor but that would surprise me—the manufacturing cost doesn't pencil out. I'm thinking it's a candidate because while they are dirt easy to upgrade (I upgraded mine, all the wiring is there, you just need the battery), many folk want more range but don't want the hassle... so the XS tends to be inexpensive on the used market.

• Like 1