IPS 121/122 bluetooth connection issues

Yeo Yi An

Help guys, I have been riding on the IPS 121/122(not sure which) recently. On one occasion where the soles of my shoes were oily, I slid off my unicycle and it crashed hard into a handrail. The unicycle cannot be discovered on bluetooth since that day. I have dismantled the unicycle in an attempt to fix the problem. Can I have some guidance on what may be the cause and how the bluetooth communication device can be found?

Don't know if IPS does it differently, but I've seen many mainboards that have a "typical" HC-05/HC-06/whatever Bluetooth-board, it looks like this:

wholesale-hc-05-HC-05-RF-Wireless-Blueto

The "zig-zagging" antenna is a dead give away, look for something similar. Don't know how much can be done for it, if it's broken though, replacing it might be hard depending how it's attached (ie. are the chips & antenna directly in the mainboard, or as a separate board).

27 minutes ago, esaj said:

Don't know if IPS does it differently, but I've seen many mainboards that have a "typical" HC-05/HC-06/whatever Bluetooth-board, it looks like this:

wholesale-hc-05-HC-05-RF-Wireless-Blueto

The "zig-zagging" antenna is a dead give away, look for something similar. Don't know how much can be done for it, if it's broken though, replacing it might be hard depending how it's attached (ie. are the chips & antenna directly in the mainboard, or as a separate board).

Uploaded Images

•  
  •  

15 minutes ago, Yeo Yi An said:
  • Thanks, I'm trying to find the component. does this by any chance look like it might be the bluetooth communication device? http://imgur.com/a/isGF1

Could very well be (the dangling wire looks like it could act as the antenna), but hard to say for sure. The kind of boards I linked the picture from above are easily available from Aliexpress etc., but don't know if something like that is.

7 minutes ago, esaj said:

Could very well be (the dangling wire looks like it could act as the antenna), but hard to say for sure. The kind of boards I linked the picture from above are easily available from Aliexpress etc., but don't know if something like that is.

My electrician dad just told me that it is likely to be the communications device. He diagnosed it to be shorted out due to water (I tried hosing the underside of the chassis to clean out dirt and mud). Does it make a difference if I bought a different board and used it instead? would it just be a matter of unsoldering the connection piece and soldering it onto a new board?

1 minute ago, Yeo Yi An said:

My electrician dad just told me that it is likely to be the communications device. He diagnosed it to be shorted out due to water (I tried hosing the underside of the chassis to clean out dirt and mud). Does it make a difference if I bought a different board and used it instead? would it just be a matter of unsoldering the connection piece and soldering it onto a new board?

Hard to say for sure if just "any" board would work, maybe, if you could figure out the pinout and all it needs is something like vcc + gnd and tx + rx? Likely the safest route is to get an original spare part, in the worst case a wrong chip / board could maybe even damage the actual mainboard.

Archived