servicing a broken handle

Tatertot

WOW. That was difficult. I'm almost done putting my ninebot back together after servicing a new handle on it and let me just say that these things were built right. Everything in this bot is TIGHT! And I mean really tight. I have pretty strong hands and it took some elbow grease to get some of these screws out. The area where you have to unscrew the little blue thing that holds the handle is extremely tight and a PITA to get to without taking off the tire. I really hope Ninebot considers a different design for their handles in their upcoming models because this was quite the effort for fixing something that would look to be an easy job.

Yeah, after watching a video of that job, I'm crossing my fingers that mine will hold out. Although, I CAN see that it is a weak point, so I'm sure I'll be visiting it at some point. 

Yeah, they really should redesign that aspect of the ONE.  Either easier to replace, or stronger, so that it would not be necessary to do the job. 

May be a 'weak link' necessary in the design where it would be EASIER to replace that particular part instead of the main mountings?

Haven't had the need yet (must've been very lucky as it's done a fair bit of tumbling in the past few months!) but when I do I'll be able to give it some proper thought :)

1 hour ago, DangerousDick said:

May be a 'weak link' necessary in the design where it would be EASIER to replace that particular part instead of the main mountings?

Very true.  Would rather the handle than the main frame.  But maybe they could have put a small hole with a cap behind the light rings to access the screw that holds it in place.  Like you say, if you get in there, I'm sure you will come up with a better design to submit to them.

Mine has never tumbled end over end, but I do lift it a lot, and I hear that alone can do it, especially if lifted sideways, like from a trunk.  I try to always stand it up straight in the trunk by grabbing the body, and only then, lift using the handle.

Archived