Airwheel x8 battery confusion

Scruffyone

Opened up my original airwheel battery last night only to find I didn't have li-po batteries but instead had li-on and as far as I know they aren't good enough to be Used safely in euc`s well cheesed off as I just bought a spot welder and 3d printer in order to sort our my range problem by adding an extra battery in series,can someone help me by clarifing what battery's I should get and where from cheap as poss 

Welcome @Scruffyone!

42 minutes ago, Scruffyone said:

adding an extra battery in series

That's a bad idea - this raises the voltage and has potential to kill the mosfets, capacitors, etc.. or one has to be very cautious and experienced to manage/design this.

44 minutes ago, Scruffyone said:

to sort our my range problem

This needs another battery of ?16? Cells in series patallel to the existig one.

If the old one(s) is(are) still in good condition - if not better to.replace it.

With this first generation wheels one has to be carefull with "increasing current supply" by paralleling batteries - this could overburden the motherboard (mosfets)

One should reconsider if the money for a new battery is not better invested in a (used but) a bit newer wheel?

48 minutes ago, Scruffyone said:

cheap as poss 

Cheap as possible gives least possible fun. Especially with the "chinese scam/used" cells

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scruffyone said:

No option,spent too much already on these two but want to keep using them just need extra range,bad idea or no I'm going to try it so is in parallel or in series better ?.

Sorry - imho building a li ion cell battery is not really something to start with/gather experience.

I hope you have some "fire safe" working space and storage place for your euc(s)?

1 hour ago, Scruffyone said:

so is in parallel or in series better ?

As written before in series will most likely kill your wheel. In parallel is the normal way to go. Although putting cells in parallel increases the available current. Some of such wheels relied on the "weak" batteries and stringer configs could overburden the motherboard.

Read some li ion, battery and electronic tutorials before starting such ventures.

Measure/analyze your existing li ion cells - there are likely already some cells to exchange? For building a new battery most presumably it's best to just replace all cells!

You already planned how many extra cells fit into your wheel? The airwheel x8 is a 67.2V wheel? If so it seems to have a 16s1p configuration - with some ~2200mAh cells for the 130Wh version and ~2900mAh for the 170Wh version.

The airwheel also still is from times wheels used to have bms with single cell undervoltage cut off. Nice for battery life, but nasty as cut offs happen during riding....

There were many threads from these times about how to "shunt a bms". You want to do this, too or did this already? Or you use thies exchange to swap for an newer bms?

Depending on space inside the wheel you coul use just the existing bms and put 16 cells parallel to the "old" ones. But most likely this is not really recommendable - the old cells should presumably be replaced, too.

Or you need a second bms for the new cells?

Or there is no(t enough) extra space in the wheel and you want a secondary pack on the charge plug? One should consider dangers of short circuit in case of an accident (external connector, wires, unprotected cells, ...) - but there are already some nice solutions. Best with an current limiting DC/DC converter so the external battery acts like a charger.

... if airwheels can be charged and ridden at the same time?

Btw - 32 new, quality cells like ncr18650ga are roughly a bit above 6€ per piece from "serious sources". If available at all...

So about 6*32~200€, maybe plus another bms and a dc/dc converter.

A bunch of old li ion cells to train welding. Nickel strips, plastic wraps,wires,...

Could be, as already written a small, used, newer wheel could be the batter investment!

Or as you write 

14 hours ago, Scruffyone said:

range problem

- did available range reduce with your battery pack or you just want more range than the battery pack was ever able to deliver?

If the first problem maybe just replacing some cells could possible "revive" the pack again