Helmet dilemma - it seems my oval head is unfit for most helmets

So I got my POC coron air spin helmet. It seemed to fit fine until I went for a ride and by the end my head was in pain. Tried again the next day and ended up with a full on headache after just an hour of riding. Turns out my head is oval and narrow and difficult to find a helmet for that won't break the bank. 

Anyone else out there experienced this? 

• Like 1

I'm researching helmets and was considering your POC selection.  So I guess the size is too small?  Have you traded up to the next size yet?  Review videos seem to indicate POC sends extra pads to help customize the fit and keep it comfortably snug.  I'm right at 58 centimeters which is almost never in the middle of a size and always the upper limit, so it makes it hard to know which is the best option when you have to go with mail order purchases. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 6:40 PM, celi said:

So I got my POC coron air spin helmet. It seemed to fit fine until I went for a ride and by the end my head was in pain. Tried again the next day and ended up with a full on headache after just an hour of riding. Turns out my head is oval and narrow and difficult to find a helmet for that won't break the bank. 

Anyone else out there experienced this? 

I have an egg head. Moto helmets, I had to go with Shoei and a certain style designed for eggs. For my wheel, Im using a Bell Super DH. Its not exactly egg shaped, but It runs big enough and has enough adjustment to help. I had to cut my chin straps down a bit as egg heads rarely find the right fit and remain comfy, so a little larger is the norm. Oddly my wife has a bubble head and not odd is that her shoei helmet is a different style. You can defiintely see the difference. Sometimes us that arent the 'normal' sizes, have to compromise. Just as my pants are too wide if theyre long enough, my helmet is a bit too wide if its tall enough. Nothing new for me anyhow.<_<

In short. Yes, most helmets ARE NOT designed for egg heads. Yes, I have experienced this problem my entire life. Helmet companies like to make 1 shell fit as many users as possible. Its common for the same damn shell to be used for mediums and large. Since its a numbers game, youll find mostly round shells. The less common the thing is that we seek, the more money that leaves the pockets. It's basic math I think...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

helmets aren't something that should be bought online without trying em out first

I'd recommend going to REI for mountain biking helmets, or any motorcycle shop (cyclegear is a big chain for example) and trying things on. Don't be afraid to ask questions, especially if you're going to cyclegear. Typically the people helping you out there are well versed in what to look for. Wear it for at least 5 mins to identify any hotspots (yeah you may feel strange, but people do it all the time). If the price isn't bad, buy it there, or walk out and by the same model you like online. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Denny Paul said:

helmets aren't something that should be bought online without trying em out first

I would certainly prefer to shop locally and try options on, but I've called around to multiple places in my area and they never have the brands or models I am considering.  Between all the companies making helmets, all the different models, the different sizes, and all the various ugly graphics, finding the best option locally would be highly unlikely.  To make matters worse right now some brands are having supply chain issues so availability is either left overs or no supply at all.   In some parts of the country there may be stores stocking lots of brands and sizes, but that does not appear to be the case in my area.    

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CarlW said:

I'm researching helmets and was considering your POC selection.  So I guess the size is too small?  Have you traded up to the next size yet?  Review videos seem to indicate POC sends extra pads to help customize the fit and keep it comfortably snug.  I'm right at 58 centimeters which is almost never in the middle of a size and always the upper limit, so it makes it hard to know which is the best option when you have to go with mail order purchases. 

It didn't feel too small at all. I am right between sizes so I went for the smaller as it generally seems the way to go. When I got it, it seemed very comfortable and nice and snug. It wasn't until I actually rode with it that I felt the pain. Too much pressure just on my forehead. My husband got the same helmet and it fits him well. He lucked out, but he also has a more "standard" head shape I guess lol At this point I don't want to experiment with going higher despite the extra padding. Figuring out other options now

7 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

I'd recommend going to REI for mountain biking helmets, or any motorcycle shop (cyclegear is a big chain for example) and trying things on. Don't be afraid to ask questions, especially if you're going to cyclegear. Typically the people helping you out there are well versed in what to look for. Wear it for at least 5 mins to identify any hotspots (yeah you may feel strange, but people do it all the time). If the price isn't bad, buy it there, or walk out and by the same model you like online. 

If it weren't for my egghead, the helmet would have been perfect lol Local selection is pretty abysmal here. Motorcycle helmets no problem. I've definitely tried some on in store and kept them on for at least 10 minutes. But damn those helmets are heavy. And peripheral visibility isn't great. I need as much as I can get especially since I wear glasses. Motocross helmets are an option I'm considering too, but again, poor selection. Most of what's available doesn't work for my head. I'm trying to find gently used helmets, but so far no one is really willing to let me try it on for 10 mins, which I get. I ordered a cheapo helmet from Amazon to see what I can do with it. In the meantime the hunt continues. 

7 hours ago, CarlW said:

I would certainly prefer to shop locally and try options on, but I've called around to multiple places in my area and they never have the brands or models I am considering.  Between all the companies making helmets, all the different models, the different sizes, and all the various ugly graphics, finding the best option locally would be highly unlikely.  To make matters worse right now some brands are having supply chain issues so availability is either left overs or no supply at all.   In some parts of the country there may be stores stocking lots of brands and sizes, but that does not appear to be the case in my area.    

Yes exactly. Another problem is availability online. It's brutal. Just when I found a helmet that all the reviewers are saying fits their egghead, it ends up being unavailable:wacko:

Is egg shape the same as the long oval?  I have no clue what my head shape is?  Does that take a trained professional to tell you, or can measurements give you the answer?  

• Like 1

long oval and egg, yup. same thing. I can be your trained professional. Prejudice on appearance is one of my many skills. Its somewhat a generalization tho, and theres no real deifnitive ratio that makes you one or the other. I call long oval an egg. Round is a pumpkin.  Knowing your head shape is only the EASY part. The problem is that very few helmet manufacturers care to categorize what shape their shells are. One size fits all is the agenda. They take a round bucket, and then toss in shit padding to help you make it NOT round. Only some of the expensive and top helmet makers go so far as to design a helmet to fit a specific head shape. So basically, you can know your head shape and it wont help much at all, because nearly NONE of the crap helmet companies will honestly tell you WHO they intended the shape for. If you ask who, they will say 'everyone' sizes s-xl.

• Like 1