Motorcycle replacement armor comparison

This is a table I put together while shopping for motorcycle jacket replacement pads, in case other people find it useful.

Most of these sets of pads include shoulder, elbow, knee, and hip pads. Back and chest protectors are made separately.

Pads undergo testing for CE certification, where a weight is dropped on the pad and the force transmitted through the pad (in kilonewtons) is recorded. Lower mean kN values imply higher levels of protection. Pads are also certified as being type A (smaller) or type B (larger). And the pads can undergo additional testing to be certified at very low (T-, -10°C / 14°F) or very high (T+, 40°C / 104°F) temperatures.

I focused on the pads that are CE certified as level 2, since most people replacing pads probably want at least that level of protection. Anyway, here's the info I collected, starting with the most protective pads:

Brand

Product

Mean kN

Size

Temps

D3O

Xergo

B*

T+/T-

SAS-TEC

SC-1/42 PRESTIGE

B

SAS-TEC

EVO

<10

B

D3O

T5 EVO Pro X

B

T-

Forcefield

Isolator 2

B

T+/T-

D3O

LP2 Pro

B

T+/T-

Safe Max

Level 2

A and B

Knox

Microlock

low teens?

A and B

T+/T-

D3O/Rukka

Air XTR

B

T-

SAS-TEC

SC-1/*B2

B

Alpinestars

Nucleon Flex Pro

<20

A and B

T+/T-

Some of the info came from a thread on advrider.com, some from mcgearhub.com, and some straight from the manufacturers.

So the D3O Xergo pads are the most protective available, but they're too large to fit into most jackets. SAS-TEC pads are hard to get right now in the US, but there are good competing options from D3O and Forcefield. If you have smaller pockets for the type A pads, it looks like Safe Max pads are the best you can do (unless you don't mind cutting up a bigger pad).

Lazyrolling's Heavy Duty Level 2 Pads are the SAS-TEC EVO pads. Looks like a good choice if you're wearing their gear.

*The Xergo pads are larger than most type B pockets.

Edited by Skeptikos
  • Like 1

The D3O Xergo can be bought separately?

I am "upgrading" from D3O to the new SAS-TEC level 2 SC1 / *2 slim flex pads, hopefully they fit most pockets...they look really comfy compared to D3O which is bit bulky in level 2.

Nice find.

I received the Sas-Tec slim level 2, very impressive flexibility and lightness (and price: about 15€ for one pair on ebay DE). I would recommend the Type B S/E/K for all parts except shoulders (too big, the S pads fit fine in my Knox shirt, which has pretty large pouches); the E pads for elbows are a little narrower so the S/E/K provide good additional wrap around protection. Can't wait to try them out (j/k)!

3 minutes ago, fntms_slowdown said:

Nice find.

I received the Sas-Tec slim level 2, very impressive flexibility and lightness (and price: about 15€ for one pair on ebay DE). I would recommend the Type B S/E/K for all parts except shoulders (too big, the S pads fit fine in my Knox shirt, which has pretty large pouches); the E pads for elbows are a little narrower so the S/E/K provide good additional wrap around protection. Can't wait to try them out (j/k)!

Can you clarify-- you're saying the new SAS-TEC SC-1/SB2 shoulder pad is too large, but too large for what?

1 hour ago, Skeptikos said:

Can you clarify-- you're saying the new SAS-TEC SC-1/SB2 shoulder pad is too large, but too large for what?

Sorry, that wasn't clear...Too long for shoulder pads, at least on the two jackets I tried (a standard mc hoodie and the knox armoured shirt); those are the SC1-KB2 pads (it's written "S/E/K/H" on them so presumably they can work on shoulders), the SC1- SB2 pads fit shoulders fine (as wide but shorter than KB2). The KB2 do work well on elbows (and knees, but too long for hips), better than the EB2 (those will work for hips).

Pic of EB2 over KB2:

20210623_202626.jpg

Edited by fntms_slowdown