Motherboard Replacement

Hey guys I wanted to get a bit of advice, I've rode wheels for a few years and have done many a maintenance job on them all. I had an issue with my ks18xl, from working fine the day before, stored and charged in a cool garage overnight as always, got up to turn it on as always, heard I tiny little popping sound and then nothing.

The wheel itself stopped rolling freely, and developed a juddering in the wheel, I've seen this before as thought..... MOSFETs, so after stripping and checking the wheel for any wires touching or damage I ordered a new motherboard, it was ever so slightly different (the two red wires are now integrated) also the versions were different. An upgraded ks18l v1.6 arrived to replace my ks18l v1.3.

The fun began when I replaced the motherboard, like for like and when i went to power it on, the whole motherboard exploded, totally blew out the two fuses and carried on popping and burning 😳, I frantically disconnected all power and whatever else safe to do, and watched it smoldering away.

I was told I must of blown the motor??? I didn't think that was the case, so I went and took off the crusty burned and toasted motherboard and put the old one back on, it all lit up, told me I had Bluetooth connectivity and had lights flashing on the motherboard but still not free rolling, kingsong (But mainly Afeez) agreed to replace the motherboard which I am very grateful, but now am sitting here with another new motherboard thinking hmmmmmmm what's the most safest way to approach this new install, thanks in advance guys πŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎ

IMG_20210510_160008.jpg

1 hour ago, Steven Dilema Louis said:

but now am sitting here with another new motherboard thinking hmmmmmmm what's the most safest way to approach this new install, thanks in advance guys

Imho in your case one should first check the motor wires / coils - so there is no short circuit. And that the hall sensors are operational.

Best would be to look at the generated voltages of the motor if turned together with the hall sensor signals, if possible...

Could be that the last motherboard was just faulty, but better eliminate other possibilities before another board goes up in flames.

Maybe also leave all lights and speakers disconnect for a first try too?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Imho in your case one should first check the motor wires / coils - so there is no short circuit. And that the hall sensors are operational.

+1, The burn is at the phase connector
Many YT video show this, it's an easy task requiring a simple multi-meter

Edited by Camenbert
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies, an additional problem is that the power button doesn't stay on unless I keep it depressed and switches straight off when released, checking YT showed that I'd need power to test?? I tried powering on and then attempting to get a reading from the motherboard points, but this could be misleading??? Thanks again guys

Β 

Also...... Once I disconnect the motor cables I do get a free rolling wheel, not sure if this is anything but that symptom was a typical motherboard issue, but as I'm here I could be wrong

Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by Steven Dilema Louis
Added info