Hollow bore motor vs original design

Darius

Advantages include the ability to use thicker guage wires which helps reduce heat. It also allows for a more sturdy axle design as the larger brackets distributes weight much better than a standard axle. Supposedly their are performance advantages as well although to this point that seems fairly unsubstantiated as magnets size and how the motor is wound seem to be the main performance determining factors.

The biggest disadvantage is clearly the bearing issue. They seem to be more exposed and of lower tolerance quality leading to some issues. These have "been addressed" and supposedly solved by both gotway and inmotion. Certainly hearing about far less problems with bearings these days, but not a ton of information is available on what was changed to prevent the problems. 

I believe the hollow core motors weigh slightly less than the standard motors as well. This may mean they cost slightly less to produce.

As it stands now i believe the hollow core motors have soured many community members on their use due to the bad first impressions. But i believe we will be seeing more and more wheels released with the hollow core design going forward and personally i have no fear for any issues as they continue to be perfected over time

I own 2 hollow core wheels, my v11 has ~2000 miles on it and no issues so far (batch 2) and my EXN has 500 miles on it so far with undetermined issues. (It had developed a slight knocking on my last ride that went away. Started about 20ish miles in, whent away after about the 30 mile mark, and i did another 30 miles back without the knock returning, will be monitoring the situation over the next few trips i take with it) 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

Advantages include the ability to use thicker guage wires which helps reduce heat. It also allows for a more sturdy axle design as the larger brackets distributes weight much better than a standard axle. Supposedly their are performance advantages as well although to this point that seems fairly unsubstantiated as magnets size and how the motor is wound seem to be the main performance determining factors.

The biggest disadvantage is clearly the bearing issue. They seem to be more exposed and of lower tolerance quality leading to some issues. These have "been addressed" and supposedly solved by both gotway and inmotion. Certainly hearing about far less problems with bearings these days, but not a ton of information is available on what was changed to prevent the problems. 

I believe the hollow core motors weigh slightly less than the standard motors as well. This may mean they cost slightly less to produce.

As it stands now i believe the hollow core motors have soured many community members on their use due to the bad first impressions. But i believe we will be seeing more and more wheels released with the hollow core design going forward and personally i have no fear for any issues as they continue to be perfected over time

I own 2 hollow core wheels, my v11 has ~2000 miles on it and no issues so far (batch 2) and my EXN has 500 miles on it so far with undetermined issues. (It had developed a slight knocking on my last ride that went away. Started about 20ish miles in, whent away after about the 30 mile mark, and i did another 30 miles back without the knock returning, will be monitoring the situation over the next few trips i take with it) 

hollow bore motors actually weigh MORE than their standard axle counterparts, to the tune of 4-5 lbs. however, all the other points you mentioned are correct. 

Ive only owned one hollow bore motor wheel (Monster Pro) and I had no issues with it in the 260 miles ridden. 

• Like 1