Gotway RS pedal crack?

Before I bother putting in for warranty, I thought I would see what the opinion of the group is. I was wiping down my machine yesterday when I noticed a line on a pedal. Turns out that it is a crack (and it kind of looks like it goes right through.) Now, there is a "dent" at the top of it where I assume I clipped something.

I will likely get custom pedals anyhow- but should I bother putting in a warranty claim- is this my own fault- is it abuse? Or is it a known issue with weak pedals? Now also seems like the time to elicit advice on riding it. It seems pretty solid- and I really don't want to wait a couple weeks for new ones to arrive. I will probably keep riding "gently" on the roads and paths and skip offroad where I am likely to stress it.

Gotway rs.jpg

Edited by DWOTR

I'd make a warranty claim for sure, even if you get fancy pedals it never hurts to have a backup in case one develops issues. I'd be very careful with the cracked one. If the pedal is made of cast aluminum, that kind of crack indicates that it can break at any time—worst possible outcome is a chunk falls off and gets jammed up in the wheel. Back when I worked in the commercial airplane industry the structures engineers referred to cast AL as "sugar cookies" because of the way it would suddenly fail. A forged part would slowly propagate that crack to failure, but a sugar cookie will let go all of the sudden without warning.

• Like 1

Thanks. It does not sound like it will be warranty (the scrape on the side...) That said, it looks like I may end up with a set of Clark pedals. I kind of want the anodized red, but worry that they will not look so good if they are subjected to the kind of wear that might occur. Maybe I will stick to aluminum...

The crack does worry me. Like you said, cast is not the most robust material. The good news is that the weather is in the negatives for the next while- so at least for awhile I will not be tempted to ride.

Edited by DWOTR