Sore shins and anyone in SJ?

AsHperson

On Monday I got in my Mten3 and used some poles in the parking lot mounting the wheel with one pedal on the ground, stepping on that pedal then the other while keeping myself stable with the pole. I was traveling between two poles(about 3 meters) at the end I was able to go a few times between them and not bailing.

I was at it for about a solid 45min-1hr until I pushed the power too hard(on soft mode) and fell on my butt, my shins were sore enough(feels like a bruise but got 85% better after a few days.

Today I took it to a parking garage trying to do half circles with the foot on the outside of the wheel trying to develop my ability to later on step it forward with one foot. My shins stopped me after about 15 minutes of barely getting it down.

Is there maybe someone in the San Jose area who might be able to help teach me or have a better wheel to learn on? As a tall person the upper pad on the Mten3 touches about the 1/3rd spot on the lower half of my leg. This time I'm gonna wait maybe a whole week for it to heal up.

I'm glad the Mten3 came with a good free protector from Euco, it even has a retro-reflective edge!

• Like 2

The mten is a little tough on the lower legs(I'm 6'3 bird legged). I find mine get tender and sore and I've been riding a while. Best answer is to just never stop riding. The pita of mounting makes it even more important to eventually learn to penduluum. If you are riding between poles, you probably are well on your way. A taller wheel would be more comfortable, but its not going to solve the pressure issue of the mten. Can you add some extra padding on yourself or the mten? At least until you get a better grasp on mounting and it quits being such a nuisance? Be sure to mount the mten with a TON of knee bend and almost like you're mounting the front of the little bastard. You wanna fly out here, I'll let you ride my 18L and we can cruise the mtens around. I got a couch to sleep ya, but youll have to sign a non disclosure of location agreement :)

You will condition to get tougher in the legs. I KNOW it feels like bloody murder now, but it does get lesser over time. 15 minutes of straight up mount/dismounting on my mten, would make my legs sore as shit too! Its like learning to snowboard... you fall on your ass until it hurts and you keep doing it. Eventually you quit falling so much and the real joy begins. Fwiw, my initial learning curve sessions were only 15-30mins daily for about 2 weeks. I took a day off or two in there. I was quite surprised how two weeks of bearing thru leg pains, made a BIG difference by the end. Of course, Im no doc and it was pain not actual 'injury'.

Be easy on yourself. The mten is a great wheel and it is a tough one in the very beginning. Once you get the initial learning curve and muscle conditioning, it will read your mind and not hurt you (often).

RollNZ makes a really nice cover for the mten. It makes the mten a little less prone to biting you. Even so, theres little that will keep the initial learning pains at bay. Wrap those legs with toilet paper from the covid backstock of the closet and bear thru it. Drape a pillow over the top and use some duct tape? I have faith youll get it and can join us in having an ego about magically riding these devices of death! *Mten Riders Association* ftw!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

The gotway dance is fun... until it isnt! I leveled my pedals a little. So low to the ground, I can stall on the pedals and just stand still. The little mten can easily fit on the back of a drz400 too. Seems like the euc attracts a lot of bikers.... naturally. Cool looking bit of kit you got there. I'll have to try ride an ebike one day. I dunno tho, decades of raw gas power and bang shifting could be tough to overcome....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

The gotway dance is fun... until it isnt! I leveled my pedals a little. So low to the ground, I can stall on the pedals and just stand still. The little mten can easily fit on the back of a drz400 too. Seems like the euc attracts a lot of bikers.... naturally. Cool looking bit of kit you got there. I'll have to try ride an ebike one day. I dunno tho, decades of raw gas power and bang shifting could be tough to overcome....

I've been riding gas bikes for 4 years prior to this one. The hardest thing is coming in too hot into turns.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AsHperson said:

I've been riding gas bikes for 4 years prior to this one. The hardest thing is coming in too hot into turns.

Is it underpowered brakes? Is the e-bike REALLY damn heavy? Maybe its lack of engine braking? Oh man how fun to come in hot in a mountain turn with a rider on a 1100cc bike, headed downhill. I'd have to try a non-clutched bike to have a clue how goes. I bet the silence is deafening and eerily pleasant.

• 2 weeks later...

@AsHperson I am mere miles away (Mountain View) from you, though @ShanesPlanetoffer sounds pretty good. I’m also a motor guy (my rides are the combustion variant however). Feel free to PM me if you want to meet up. I’m always happy to help and still looking for folks in this area that are interested in riding.