New rider looking between KS S18 and IM V11

Hello all, this is my first post here and I'm wondering if I could have some help with this decision, I've been doing a lot of research and I'm finding a bunch of pros and cons for both. I'd like to know what may be false or what may be more or less important than what I may think it is. 

From what I've seen the pros of the V11 are:
Bigger battery
More stable battery cells with less sag
Dual charging ports for dual 2.5A ports for more stable charging versus one 5A charger
Automatic headlight
battery meter
brighter headlight and taillight
slanted in pedals
built-in stand
dual shocks
more sealed from dirt and grime
more reliable trolly handle
higher top speed
drl

cons:
even the latest hardware revisions I've been hearing of a bearing issue
I saw a disassembly video and it seems extremely difficult to work on even if I just need to change a tire, I'm not really a hands on person and I'm not sure if there's a local expert I can rely on to do the change for me(I live in San Jose, CA)
There doesn't seem to be any footholds/places to hold my legs on
the shocks sounds like they need to be filled up more often
less reliable brand history?
generally more loose construction/tolerances leading to a cheaper feel

Pros for the S18:
The looks
better feeling suspension(from what I hear)
better footholds/places to hold my legs onto
better performance?

cons:
it sounds like the mudguard falls off from time to time
the battery size
checking the battery life
trolly handle more likely to break from impact
wobbles when braking hard from what I hear
cheap glue used on some parts liable to come off
less water resistance

Concluding from this, I'm leaning towards the V11 if the tire thing isn't as big of an issue then the battery life and the headlight for visibility make the difference for me. Otherwise, the S18 seems like a great choice too. Due to me not being a hands on person, looking at dissassembly videos, if I can't find a local service center in San Jose, I'd be shipping it to someplace that can properly change the tire for me. 

I'm not really looking at this as a commuter but mostly only on city streets since I currently commute about 35mi on my electric motorcycle. I'm really trying to keep with a suspension wheel to help save my back and knees.
  • Like 1

V11.... If I had to roll the dice again, I'd ignore my gut feeling based on looks and 'possibilities' and go with the V11.

First post and you start a war? :furious: You'll fit right in here.

You're gna have to buy tools either way....

*Im perfectly content with the non-suspension wheels I have atm.* If you knew me, you'd know THAT says a lot.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

V11.... If I had to roll the dice again, I'd ignore my gut feeling based on looks and 'possibilities' and go with the V11.

First post and you start a war? :furious: You'll fit right in here.

You're gna have to buy tools either way....

*Im perfectly content with the non-suspension wheels I have atm.

Hey, at work I get to help people wade the battlegrounds between Samsung and LG tvs! 

On my motorcycle, I'm the kinda person to take it in and wait to get the tires changed, I'm really more of a software person than a hardware person. 

*so you think the other side of the grass is greener or have you tried the V11?*

• Like 1

I had the same indecision between v11 and s18, now I discarded the v11 for the combination of bearing problems, too hight pedals and bad look for me. 

But I switched it for the ks18xl in my indecision... it has great quality, great range and enough speed for me.

But I'd also love to ride more comfortably on the s18 suspension, maybe I can enjoy just a little more the sight and the surrounding rather then constantly looking at the ground... 

It's tough! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AsHperson said:

I ended up deciding on the Gotway Mten3 due to portability and taking it with me on my bike. I may wait for the next generation of suspension wheels to get one of those.

Excellent decision. Nothing wrong with waiting for them to iron out the bugs and more choices to be available. Be VERY aware that the mten is a finicky little device at the very beginning. The learning curve has the potential to be a little steep at the VERY beginning. No fear tho, its a mind reader in a very short time. I ride mine almost daily. Its like someone else mentioned "as close to having your own magic carpet as possible". Get on that boy bad and become part of the mten riders association! Don't let it fool you, its a sturdy little bugger and you WILL get around on it. Just don't treat it like an old bmx bike is all. Again, congrats!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Excellent decision. Nothing wrong with waiting for them to iron out the bugs and more choices to be available. Be VERY aware that the mten is a finicky little device at the very beginning. The learning curve has the potential to be a little steep at the VERY beginning. No fear tho, its a mind reader in a very short time. I ride mine almost daily. Its like someone else mentioned "as close to having your own magic carpet as possible". Get on that boy bad and become part of the mten riders association! Don't let it fool you, its a sturdy little bugger and you WILL get around on it. Just don't treat it like an old bmx bike is all. Again, congrats!

Hey, thanks man! What app would you suggest? It seems there is no standard Gotway app on iOS or Android(I prefer to use my Android though). Are there updates? What are the options available?

Eucw   euc world. Only app I use. Admittedly, I dont use it much on the mten. I enjoy the simplicity of the mten so much, I find little need. Last I knew, the mten doesnt support bluetooth firmware updates. I was disappointed, but am now just fine with it. If you get one that works, you set the alarms( I dont have alarms set, I use factory top speed and tiltback) and what you have is what you get. It is what it is and not wondering is half the joy. Mines the baby 67v that they dont sell much anymore. Even it has enough juice to keep me content for its purpose.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Eucw   euc world. Only app I use. Admittedly, I dont use it much on the mten. I enjoy the simplicity of the mten so much, I find little need. Last I knew, the mten doesnt support bluetooth firmware updates. I was disappointed, but am now just fine with it. If you get one that works, you set the alarms( I dont have alarms set, I use factory top speed and tiltback) and what you have is what you get. It is what it is and not wondering is half the joy. Mines the baby 67v that they dont sell much anymore. Even it has enough juice to keep me content for its purpose.

I ordered the 67v 420wh from euco

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AsHperson said:

I ordered the 67v 420wh from euco

Oh, too cool! I didnt know they still sold that model. DId it come with big black pedals? You can get an eucbg (neoprene cover) for it from RollNZ, too. Im so out fo shape, i rode mine in a crowded city today, and my feet got tired before the mten dropped 20%. Im gna blame my new shoes tho.. Don't mean to pry, but did it come at a decent price? I fear what replacing mine would cost... Fwiw, mines has had its ass kicked by the apshalt. It really is a tough little bugger. I think the case isnt expensive, tho mines beaten but nary a crack yet... Remember when mounting, bend those knees a LOT, almost like mounting the front of it... :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Oh, too cool! I didnt know they still sold that model. DId it come with big black pedals? You can get an eucbg (neoprene cover) for it from RollNZ, too. Im so out fo shape, i rode mine in a crowded city today, and my feet got tired before the mten dropped 20%. Im gna blame my new shoes tho.. Don't mean to pry, but did it come at a decent price? I fear what replacing mine would cost... Fwiw, mines has had its ass kicked by the apshalt. It really is a tough little bugger. I think the case isnt expensive, tho mines beaten but nary a crack yet... Remember when mounting, bend those knees a LOT, almost like mounting the front of it... :)

They sell it for $600 and include a cover for free with it(we'll see just how good that $50/free cover really is), they say it has the upgraded acm/tesla pedals, whatever that means. I actually just found the gotway app through their website, it isn't listed on the Play Store though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AsHperson said:

They sell it for $600 and include a cover for free with it(we'll see just how good that $50/free cover really is), they say it has the upgraded acm/tesla pedals, whatever that means. I actually just found the gotway app through their website, it isn't listed on the Play Store though.

Worth every penny! Just don't give up if it seems VERY difficult. You could fnid it easy, maybe not. Either way, its totally worth it. The mten opens up adventures within close range. When you dont have to exert the enrgy to jog or walk, you may find yourself aimlessly strolling in random places. I take my mten with me almost everyhwere. Even a simple parking lot becomes fun in an instant. The ACM pedals are the good ones for American sized feet. You're good to go, no upgrades needed. If its a RollNZ cover for free, thats $100+ value. I didnt realize anyone else made covers for it. Do what you must, to learn, just dont use chain link fencing with your fingers thru it. Maybe staying away from interstates is good idea. FOr now...:roflmao:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Worth every penny! Just don't give up if it seems VERY difficult. You could fnid it easy, maybe not. Either way, its totally worth it. The mten opens up adventures within close range. When you dont have to exert the enrgy to jog or walk, you may find yourself aimlessly strolling in random places. I take my mten with me almost everyhwere. Even a simple parking lot becomes fun in an instant. The ACM pedals are the good ones for American sized feet. You're good to go, no upgrades needed. If its a RollNZ cover for free, thats $100+ value. I didnt realize anyone else made covers for it. Do what you must, to learn, just dont use chain link fencing with your fingers thru it. Maybe staying away from interstates is good idea. FOr now...:roflmao:

From the looks of it, the case is just for when I'm not using it which is weird. If it doesn't end up being much of an in-use cover then I'll order that roll.nz cover since I hear everyone talking about it! I gotta visit my local cycle gear to get some gear for local travel soon. The one thing they don't have are wrist guards, I found some good ones called the demon flexmeter on Amazon I will order soon. I already ride my motorcycle with full gear and understand how important protective gear is! 

• Like 1

The mten is a stout little bugger. The rollNZ covers are nice, but definitely more of a 'spoiled farkle' for this wheel. I have a pair of flexmeters. I don't wear them often, but they are the only comfy ones I could find, that seem to offer protection. Sadly, I havent gloves that fit over them, so my fingers still feel pretty vulnerable. The FM's are a favorite around here. They are warm, but what tight fitting braces arent?

Well, I gotta run. Time to smoke a cigarette and may as well toss the mten down in the street. I find it odd that I havent grown tired of just hovering around to nowhere. Youll see, its a wonderful thing and so damn simple...

On 3/16/2021 at 11:48 PM, AsHperson said:

Hello all, this is my first post here and I'm wondering if I could have some help with this decision, I've been doing a lot of research and I'm finding a bunch of pros and cons for both. I'd like to know what may be false or what may be more or less important than what I may think it is. 

From what I've seen the pros of the V11 are:
Bigger battery
More stable battery cells with less sag
Dual charging ports for dual 2.5A ports for more stable charging versus one 5A charger
Automatic headlight
battery meter
brighter headlight and taillight
slanted in pedals
built-in stand
dual shocks
more sealed from dirt and grime
more reliable trolly handle
higher top speed
drl

cons:
even the latest hardware revisions I've been hearing of a bearing issue
I saw a disassembly video and it seems extremely difficult to work on even if I just need to change a tire, I'm not really a hands on person and I'm not sure if there's a local expert I can rely on to do the change for me(I live in San Jose, CA)
There doesn't seem to be any footholds/places to hold my legs on
the shocks sounds like they need to be filled up more often
less reliable brand history?
generally more loose construction/tolerances leading to a cheaper feel

Pros for the S18:
The looks
better feeling suspension(from what I hear)
better footholds/places to hold my legs onto
better performance?

cons:
it sounds like the mudguard falls off from time to time
the battery size
checking the battery life
trolly handle more likely to break from impact
wobbles when braking hard from what I hear
cheap glue used on some parts liable to come off
less water resistance

Concluding from this, I'm leaning towards the V11 if the tire thing isn't as big of an issue then the battery life and the headlight for visibility make the difference for me. Otherwise, the S18 seems like a great choice too. Due to me not being a hands on person, looking at dissassembly videos, if I can't find a local service center in San Jose, I'd be shipping it to someplace that can properly change the tire for me. 

I'm not really looking at this as a commuter but mostly only on city streets since I currently commute about 35mi on my electric motorcycle. I'm really trying to keep with a suspension wheel to help save my back and knees.

PEV Works in San Francisco should be able to take care of a tire change for you.

If you want to revisit the S18 or V11 later, both are good. If you value range and lighting, V11. S18 is better for off-road at the cost of range.

2 hours ago, madbikes said:

PEV Works in San Francisco should be able to take care of a tire change for you.

If you want to revisit the S18 or V11 later, both are good. If you value range and lighting, V11. S18 is better for off-road at the cost of range.

Thanks, I think I got an email response from EUCO about that.