Can we talk about pedal height?

drader

The Tesla V2 is 150mm, which most people think is low. The Nikola is supposedly 145mm, which is impossible since it shares the pedal column with the Tesla and has a fatter tire. The Tesla V3 is now 135mm. The MSX/MSP is 165mm. The MCM5V2 is now 145mm which people seem to like, compared to the 130mm of the original. The V11 can be as high as 250mm which is a hair higher than the axle. The Sherman is supposedly 170mm. The V10f is 172mm.

Can anyone tell me what they think is the ideal pedal height, or what clearly wasn't working for them? I always thought a higher pedal would dramatically affect a rider's ability to balance, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

• Like 1

Ideal height is exactly 5mm higher than whatever my euc has. Seriously tho, I manage to scrape all my pedals regardless of height. Only my tiny mten is so low its an issue at times. Totally my fault for lowering them. I find that after a few moments, the height of pedal is just one of a myriad of things we compensate for. Hell, you give me 10 more mm and I'd want another 10. I guess my ideal height would be such that I can lean it over until near cutoff and not scrape. Of course, this would only be a benefit IF the cutoff angle is great enough and NO OTHER FACTORS changed. Impossible however, as pedal height effects cog and damn near everything is somewhat intertwined with another.  Im not even sure a persons overall height is much a constant, when it comes to pedal height preferences.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, drader said:

The Tesla V2 is 150mm, which most people think is low. 

Much as I would like it to be so, there's no way no how the Tesla V2 has a pedal height of 150mm while the MCM5v2 is 145mm. I just measured both in my possession & there is a difference of 1" btwn them with the MCM5v2 being higher. Being that 1" = 254mm & if the MCM5v2 is 145mm, then the Tesla v2 is 120mm at best. 

The Tesla is well known to have one of the lowest pedal height in GW/BG's line up, excepting the Mten3 ofcos. FWIW I can easily scrap the Tesla's pedals doing tighter turns but not the MCM5v2.

That's interesting. My Tesla is all apart, but my measurements point to 120mm... maybe they measure at the outside edge? Can you do me a favor and measure your Tesla and MCM5 from the center of the pin to the ground?

I managed to order the Russian pedal arm lift kit... it took a month going back and forth, but finally the deal is done. It is expensive... but i like supporting random garage machinists! And it is for the sake of experimenting and learning.

• 1 year later...
55 minutes ago, ZweemZ said:

what is the russian pedal arm lift kit? that sounds interesting

I guess @drader is referring to custom pedal hangers. By having the hole for the axle lower on the hanger the pedals are lifted from the ground.

Below is a set of options for Tesla and Nikola (they apparently have identical hangers). This workshop offers all kinds of aftermarket upgrades and kits

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcoAZdHMnMD/?hl=en

Edited by yoos