Will a strong magnet break my wheel?

Shady Tools

I'm thinking of buying this - http://www.back2you.com/caravan-and-motorhome-gps-tracker.html- for my Gotway 18 when it arrives. Apparently it has a strong magnet inside which I'm worried might react badly with the components inside.

Does anybody know of any cheaper/better ones?

I do want to be notified when my wheel moves. Less than 200m would be better.

The cheap one I got off of dxtreme a few years ago has a fence or boundary setting on it so that if it moves over the distance you set you get a text. But that runs off the car 12v system with only a very small back up battery.

I would think that the very strong rare earth magnets that are all around the rim of the wheel in the motor are more likely to cause a problem to the tracker than visa versa.

How do  you use this tool? You put a sim card, then you call that number? Does it require a monthly subscription though? How do you power it? If it's visible outside, all the thief has to do is just unplug it. If you plan to put it inside, will our wheels have enough room in the casing?

The one I've got in my car is well hidden and has a direct power supply from the battery via its own in line fuse.

When I text it, it sends me a Google maps link or map reference whichever I choose. It an also be set to text me if it moves out of the fence area that I set up but I don't actually use that feature.

Powering it may be a problem on a euc as I have ready said but there are voltage converter available. Just an added complication that's all.

Personally I haven't even entertained the idea of theft of a wheel as when not at home I'm either riding it or it is rested against a convenient wall close by.

At present it's highly unlikely that anyone that I haven't taught to use it would be capable of making off on it or even riding it straight off.

I have just started work in a pub (where mobile signal isn't very good) so I will have to leave it in the staff room or cellar. I don't fancy carrying it down to the cellar every shift so would prefer it if I could leave it safely locked up & be notified when it moves. Setting up an electronic perimeter sounds perfect to me.

I think my dad has bought me a chain with a code that can be reprogrammed. I'm hoping it fits through the gap in the wheel.

I want a tracker though. I would prefer to just go round to the thieves house & get it back without having to bother the police who get stuck by red tape & rules. :-)

Archived