Bent RS pedal rod and stripped grub screw

SorenStarr

Hello everybody,

A little over a week ago I was riding my RS in the morning doing my routine daily ride like usual. This lady didn't see me and wasn't paying attention to the road... Hit me with her car. Ended up breaking my left clavicle. Now I'm in wheel repair mode. The RS is surprisingly unscathed besides the left pedal getting all beat up. Unfortunately it looks like the pedal rod is bent and thus can't be easily removed. Normally I'd just try to hammer it out but one of the grub screws is pretty stripped and won't come out of the pedal. This pretty much rules out the hammer method for removing the rod. I tried to WD-40 it with little success and I'm now thinking that I may have to cut the rod off of the pedal hanger using a metal saw. Do you have any suggestions or tips for how I could remove the stripped grub screw besides WD-40? Or should I just go forward with chopping the pedal rod? Thanks.

Edit: fixed grammar

Edited by SorenStarr
  • Like 2

PB Blaster was always my goto. If its distorted and not simply stuck, you may have to cut. You could also drill, as i KNOW the metal being used is not going to be tempered/hardened and is most likely soft as can be. Just be sure to keep the bit cool with lubricant, should you go that route.  Sorry to hear about the incident. Hopefully you got some form of incident report, as shouldnt the damages to you and the wheel, be covered by their insurance? Speedy recovery wishes and best of luck!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

PB Blaster was always my goto. If its distorted and not simply stuck, you may have to cut. You could also drill, as i KNOW the metal being used is not going to be tempered/hardened and is most likely soft as can be. Just be sure to keep the bit cool with lubricant, should you go that route.  Sorry to hear about the incident. Hopefully you got some form of incident report, as shouldnt the damages to you and the wheel, be covered by their insurance? Speedy recovery wishes and best of luck!

Thanks for the reply. I'm attaching a picture of the pedal in question. The reason I think it is bent is because the grub screw has been stuck for almost as long as I've had the wheel. I used to be able to wiggle the pedal back and forth to get the rod out. Now it seems to have some resistance when opening the pedal. Luckily there was a police officer right down the road who processed an exchange of information. I'm now in the process of working with an injury attorney to settle with the at fault drivers insurance.

20210222_170857.jpg

• Like 1

I'd imagine the hole that the plug needs come out of, is distorted. Order replacements now so you wont have to wait. Be sure to keep the bill handy. It won't be much, but its possible you will get paid back for it in a settlement. Bigger worry is to keep up with any medical bills, as those will far outweigh parts costs. Look that hanger over really well too. I know if it were me, I'd expect EVERY MINOR DAMAGE to be repaired at their cost in the end. No need to feel like you're taking advantage of anyone, as YOU got hit. Hell, even the price of an entire new wheel is nothing in compare to what their neglect could have costed.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Imagine if car drivers payed the same kind of constant attention and respect to the different vehicles on road as we euc riders have to do to stay alive... They seem easily distracted or sometimes almost not even present because of the false feeling of safety one gets from sitting in a protected metal box and falsely thinking that only bigger vehicles like trucks has a high  potential of being catastrophically lethal to them.. I think a lot of motorists could learn a lot from being the exposed and frail party on the road and maybe then they wouldn't drive with such disregard towards the safety of everything from pedestrians to euc riders and motorcyclists.. 

Personally I have been to the hospital 3 times with a broken left wrist each time and have spent approximately 2 years of my relatively short 27 years on this planet with a cast on my left arm all due to inattentive car drivers. I have incurred financial costs and loses due to one of them being a hit and run incident where the offender sped away from the crimescene, and even in the 2 other cases ultimately I had to incur financial loses due to injuries, destroyed euc, and lost ability to work all without getting insurance because of the illegal status of eucs in the country I used to live in. 

I have accepted that it is only a matter of time before I go back to the hospital because of the action of others and I have accepted that because I enjoy eucs as much as I do. But when riding I am overly cautious in situations like roundabouts, intersections and many other places because of my bad experiences when it comes to the attentiveness of the drivers I share the road with. 

Sure my riding style is very much focused on high speed and fast acceleration and must look suicidal to some but all of my car related accidents were low speed and out of my control. 

Accept inevitable future catastrophe and wear gear and helmet for the love of all that is good.

I am currently on my longest streak of not visiting the hospital since I started to ride so I'm getting uneasy that it may soon be time again :wacko:

• Like 1