Battery warning lights on V10F

Nestor

My new Inmotion V10F has only 60 miles. On my two longer trips (both started with fully charged battery) I noticed that the battery charge indicator changed from 3 blue bars to red and amber lights after riding about 25 km. The applet, however, showed 30 km remaining range and about half full battery. The diagnostic reveals no problems with the device. ewheels.com support guys told me it is normal and I should trust the applet rather then the display. I wonder other owners of V10s had similar experience.

Thanks.

Nestor.   

• Like 2

I have a V10F and it is pretty much the same for my wheel. The 100km/60 mile range that the app shows for a fully charged battery is a joke, maybe a 5'2'', 100lbs Chinese girl can achieve that at a steady 15 km/h under ideal conditions. A normal sized, 80-85kg Caucasian man can expect maybe half that, especially when riding a bit spiritedly.

The two red/amber bars come on at around 50% battery and change to a single red bar at around 33-35%. 50-55km is a perfectly realistic and normal range for the V10F with a normally built rider. I weigh 295lbs in all my gear and can get around 40-45km when cruising leisurely in hilly terrain.

if you keep the wheel plugged in after the app shows 100%, that is until the charger actually stops charging and the LED turns from red to green, you can cram in quite a bit lot of additional energy.

Edited by mhpr262
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

I have a V10F and it is pretty much the same for my wheel. The 100km/60 mile range that the app shows for a fully charged battery is a joke, maybe a 5'2'', 100lbs Chinese girl can achieve that at a steady 15 km/h under ideal conditions. A normal sized, 80-85kg Caucasian man can expect maybe half that, especially when riding a bit spiritedly.

The two red/amber bars come on at around 50% battery and change to a single red bar at around 33-35%. 50-55km is a perfectly realistic and normal range for the V10F with a normally built rider. I weigh 295lbs in all my gear and can get around 40-45km when cruising leisurely in hilly terrain.

if you keep the wheel plugged in after the app shows 100%, that is until the charger actually stops charging and the LED turns from red to green, you can cram in quite a bit lot of additional energy.

Thanks for useful reply. I am 72, new to EUC and my concern is crash as the result of sudden cut off due to depleted battery....  

• Like 1

I'd say that with a normal weight rider in normal temperatures and on relatively smooth terrain the V10F can be ridden safely deep into the single-red-bar territory if one uses some restraint when riding. I

It is usually fast acceleration and/or going uphill quickly that pushes a wheel beyond its performance envelope. Being willing to go uphill slowly creates a huge safety margin because our motors lose so much torque at higher speeds.

It’s cold - my range dropped by 1/4 or 1/3 as the temperatures got close to freezing. And the range strongly depends on speed and style of ride. My gf (same weight as me) has about the same range with V10 as I have with a V10F, just because I ride way more dynamically, accelerating and slowing down all the time just for the fun.

Inmotion is pretty conservative and won’t even let you ride fast with low battery. A few weeks back I had to catch a train and rode the last mile with strong tiltback at snail pace (faster jogging speed) deep in red, watching as the train is arriving to the station before me... I managed to get on board, but just by about 3 seconds. :D 

On 2/9/2021 at 11:07 AM, mhpr262 said:

Actually, keep it even longer, an hour or two, at least sometimes. The electronics won’t let the battery to overcharge, but it will do cell balancing, which is important for battery health. It happens only during the end phase of charging (in EUCs). The charger changes to the green light when the current drops under certain value, but the balancing may still be in progress.