Starting out on a Ninebot One E+

DrBytes

I've started learning on a Ninebot One E+ but.. I find it difficult to mount the thing with one foot, It's flimsy. I am over 6.1 feet and 220 lbs and the wheel seems like a toy. The grip on the pedals can't hold me, I can get on it 3 out of 5 times with one foot but the other times my foot slides off while I have much more force to give. Is this normal or should I put sandpaper/skateboard tape on the pedals for grip? Riding once I'm on it is no problem.

• Like 1

Is your grip tape worn out? I was having trouble when I first started and found my grip tape was smooth and my foot was sliding off. The tape on my Tesla was junk (very thin)! I did a pedal grip mod from Harbor Freight. It's under the mod section if you want to check it out. Or if it's worn then put some fresh stuff on. 

Edited by Pev junkie

The E+ doesn't have grip tape, which doesn't help. Only the rubber stripes. @DrBytes 
Yes absolutely, add some skateboard / grip paper, it should help quite a bit. (un screw top of pedals to mark / cut the grip)
The "pads" are also not very comfy, you could add some foam. Hopefully this wheel will serve as a learner and you can move to something a bit more powerful.

Good luck, its great fun once you get there.

edit: from my experience with weak / cheap skate tape the sand wears off fairly fast. It will do the trick but dont bother making it so perfect as you'll probably end up changing it fairly fast. People around here have been recommending "vicious" grip tape.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, people!

@null: Yes, the pads are quite hard and I feel like leaving them off would've almost been better ;)

Today I had a click moment where I had my dominant foot on the machine, at standstill, and then I "just" placed my second foot onto the pedals while pushing down slightly with the toes of my dominant foot and I rode off without drama...

Now trying to furiously reproduce that :)

Edited by DrBytes
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 10:32 AM, DrBytes said:

Thanks for the feedback, people!

@null: Yes, the pads are quite hard and I feel like leaving them off would've almost been better ;)

Today I had a click moment where I had my dominant foot on the machine, at standstill, and then I "just" placed my second foot onto the pedals while pushing down slightly with the toes of my dominant foot and I rode off without drama...

Now trying to furiously reproduce that :)

Keep at it. It gets easier as you get more miles under your belt. You will be able to just step on at a standstill like it's nothing!😎🤙

I’m in a very similar situation! Learning on a Ninebot One E+, 6’1”, 230 lbs, just about learned how to mount and ride more naturally. For me, the epiphany came right after placing the 2nd foot on the pedal. Up until that point, I noticed my dominant foot was trying to do too much...balance and trying to speed up by putting pressure on the toe for that foot. What I changed was once I got my 2nd foot on, do a quick “toe” check with toes on both feet to apply pressure evenly to get both my balance set and to make sure the wheel goes fast enough to maintain balance more easily. At that point, I transitioned into “riding mode” and was good to go.

I’m still looking to get better on this wheel before buying an upgrade, but I’m already doing research on all of the wheels. These are exciting times!

• Like 3

That helped me too, get the second foot on there and commit to locomotion.

I think it's a combination of desperation and ambition :)

I have now have a Sherman. Awesome thing, fat tyre and some psi tweaking and I've been out every day getting better. Now I'm taking on more speed and trying to corner at that increased velocity.

Fun hobby, reminds me of my motorcycle years,...and skiing..

Edited by DrBytes
  • Like 2