normal operating parameters

Olestra

I got a Sherman right around thanksgiving and have been spending an hour or so a week learning to ride.
I'd really like to know what I can expect as normal, so when I see conditions outside of that I can look into what's going on... preferably before failure.

I'll start with the stat that has me concerned, temperature. during my learning seasons, the temp has started at 90F, and generally sits around 110F --that's a rise of about 60F over ambient. Is this a normal temperature, or should I pop this thing open and see if a fan isn't working, or something.

Since no one is answering you, I'll give it a shot. 

"An hour or so a week learning to ride"... you don't have anything to worry about on temperature or anything. You are not stressing the wheel at all. I cannot imagine you are going over 12 mph. Focus on just learning how to ride and do more like an hour or so a day. You are training muscle memory and developing muscles you don't have yet. One hour a week is not going to cut it. Hope this help. 

BTW, 75 degrees C = 167 degrees F is if you are pushing your wheel up a hill for long durations... you are no where near that point. Your riding ability is no where near that point. Hence, focus on learning to ride.

• Like 2

@DragonFZYou are exactly right -- I'm not pushing the EUC hard, and I'm inexperienced with it. This is why I was asking if a rise of 60F over ambient was normal. If I see +60 while strolling on level ground, it becomes very easy to expect double that over heavier use, which with a cut-out at 185F means a 70F day could see me hitting the cutoff.
Now I know thermodynamics isn't exactly linear, so it's why I ask what other users see under normal conditions. knowing that would make it quite easy to see if a specific veteran is running outside normal, before it could fail while near traffic or something. My e-skate board controller has a rise of about 40F above ambient when climbing hills, yet the motors have a rise of nearly 110F. I wish the EUC world app would share anonymized ride data.

While I appreciate the riding and training advice, my hour or so a week has me able to hop up and down curbs safely so far. I have a few more skills I expect myself to figure out before i will take this thing out where I have to worry about traffic, pedestrians or bicyclists. I've got a got a skills checklist based on the motorcycle safety course that i'll need to pass before I let myself out on trails and roads. Everyone learns in their own way and rate, it's not cool to push.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi @Olestra, I hope your riding is going well and your skills are increasing.

Regarding temperature, I ride in the Philippines, where the temperature on an average afternoon at this time of year is 95+ F. I'll typically ride about 10 miles, sometimes up to about 40 mph on flat roads, and other times on unpaved or dilapidated roads. The latter heats the Sherman the most, due to the constant braking and acceleration. I push the wheel quite hard, but I've had no problems at all with heat, and had my alarm go off at 60C (140 F) for the first time today. If I increase the alarm ten degrees (still way below the limit) I doubt it'll ever go off.

A quick bit of physics... heat dissipation is proportional to the difference in temperature between an object and its surroundings - the hotter it gets, the more it can lose heat.

Unless you are doing something different, my experience would suggest you'll have no overheating problem on a 70C day, or even much hotter. Cheers.

• Like 2

@philcal My riding has come along nicely! I am using it for my twice-weekly commutes on nice days.

I am seeing a consistent 60F rise over ambient -- which, yes is inline with physics, as absolute temperature isn't as important to heat dissipation as difference between temperatures. Obviously, ambient humidity and even more importantly air density plays a large part -- with you being near sea-level you'll see a much better heat dissipation than I will at 6000 ft.

I can estimate that on 95F days, I should be cautious with moderate and long slopes or steep ones, since I see a rise of 75-80F over ambient on a 1/4 mile 12-15% grade near my apartments.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I rode in humid 106f heat and my reading was 152f riding around at 25 to 30mph stop and go on a private road. I did not know what was a cutoff temperature or that there was a setting for warning in the iphone app. interesting

On 1/6/2021 at 9:42 AM, Olestra said:

I wish the EUC world app would share anonymized ride data.

It does on the web portal, at least for premium users. When you hover over the stats, they give you actual numbers.

Screen-Shot-2022-06-30-at-6-44-26-PM.png

Edited by Tawpie