KS s18 shock mod

• 2 weeks later...

Like Donald I'm using a Rockshox RT3 200 x 57 shock. It was easy to fit although I had to make 12 x 15mm bushings because the eye size is 1mm larger.

I think this shock works really well throughout the speed range. It has a firm ride and feels planted at all times, also quiet in use.

A word of caution though, if you try it in the locked position the lever is upright and may catch the tail lamp lens. This is easily solved by filing a bit off to make it shorter.

s18 rockshox.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 7:40 PM, Donald L Bucklin said:

I have a S18 (3rd batch) and fiddled with the DNM 2 chamber shock it came with.  Never found the sweet spot.  I switched to a Rock Shox Monarch R at 165 mm and it fits perfectly and only took a short time to swap.  I have 100 km on this shock, and it is a set and forget it.  I weigh 165 lbs.  The Monarch R was about $220 (and worth it to me).  

I am so glad to hear others having had the same Idea, I'm new to EUC and Bought the S-18 which is absolutely banging! so i changed my standard damper with the Rockshox Monarch Plus RC-3, i also had to have the bushes made. 

the damper the KS-18 came with is showing its seal coming away from the damper, and im not even going wild (absolute beginner) just imagine what could happen when i try to learn Jumps on a dirt track or MTB trail ?!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi! I'm on the same idea. Spent my first day trying to get the S18 suspension dialed in and coming away with the idea this shock is not ideal....

First, Y'all said you had to "have bushings made". Seems OK, I have access to friends that manufacture, although I don't myself :-)

What exactly do you say to who, to get the right bushings?

Second, why the Monarch RC3? I see the 200x57 size isn't super popular, but there's also the Rockshocks Vivid R2C line?

Edited by bbulkow

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...