Safe to ride with broken modules? (headlights, led, speakers, etc.)

vd853

Is it safe to ride an EUC with broken modules. I don't mean vital components like the motherboard, motor, or battery. I mean "lightweight" components like the lights, color lights, speakers, lift sensor, battery indicator, etc.. Most that can be disabled by the app.

I ask because there is a possibility of a short circuit. Could that cause a cutout?

Edited by vd853

I would think its unlikely to cause a cutout. If it was going to short to ground, it would have done it already. As precise as these have to be to allow us to ride, you would DEFINITELY know if something in the motor and balancing circuit was compromised. Hell, I'd stand on it, ride slowly for a few minutes and that test alone, will probably answer more than a lab scope with schematics, could! If you are REALLY concerned, you could always charge it and let it sit for a day or two to stablize voltage. THEN let it sit for a few days and recheck periodically. Basically checking for any parasitic voltage drain. I'd ride it, as long as it charges fully, holds a charge and whatever is broken, STAYS broken. Its the intermittent faults that may be worrisome.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Depends how broken. If the lights just "don't work", then I'd say it's pretty safe.
However, if the wire is damaged and dangling, just waiting to cause a short on the motherboard... That's a different story. :D

No way to be sure until you open the wheel obviously. I'd personally prefer to disconnect broken modules, just to be 100% sure. Cutouts are very fun.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 2

I would exercise caution. One of my Nikola LED side lights stopped working and I didn't investigate the issue. About a week later the wheel cutout while riding. Fortunately it was at low speed and i wasn't hurt but the cause was a loose wire from the LEDs that dangled across the motherboard and shorted everything. I suggest investigating the cause before riding. 

• Like 1