Benchmarking Wheels for Advancement

OpenWheel

Hello,

As a newcomer to this forum, but a longtime rider, and one who is working to advance the state of the art, I wonder if any one can point me to objective tests that have been done to benchmark the motors and systems of each wheel on the market.

My working assumption is that the Veteran Sherman is the highest power wheel available to date, with the Inmotion v10, Ninebot one Z series, and the new suspension-oriented wheels from KingSong and Inmotion up there as well. Apologies for exclusion of Gotway as I'm less familiar with their tech.

My question is however: is there some better standard to compare these wheels by than nominal wattage / peak wattage? Has anyone made a dyno for these things? How do we establish a better set of measurements for their power than the manufacturer-supplied numbers that are notional and hand-wavey?

Much appreciated, thanks for your help.

Welcome @OneWheel!

There were dynotests made by ecodrift - my link does not work anymore. This page seem to be down - some results could be found on the russian forum? But that was quite some time ago and with "outdated" wheels.

One can get/estimate the wheels limits with some basic motor, battery data and overlean/burden logs as in 

For many wheels firmware current/power limits are implemented - they should only regard low speed limits?

Beside this "overall system limits" the "thermal begaviour" should be interesting, too - how long the wheel can work at/near his limits...

29 minutes ago, OpenWheel said:

My working assumption is that the Veteran Sherman is the highest power wheel available to date

Power is relative. It seems to deliver outstanding high speed performance, for lower speed (hill climbing) performance other wheels seem better. But firmware is in the state of beeing fine tuned...

31 minutes ago, OpenWheel said:

with the Inmotion v10, Ninebot one Z series,

They seem to be easily outperformed by veteran and gotway wheels...

32 minutes ago, OpenWheel said:

and the new suspension-oriented wheels from KingSong and Inmotion up there as well.

Same here, although they should outperform the v10 and Z series from the reports.

They seem to be very solid, modern powerful wheels - but their main, outstanding performance is the suspension?

35 minutes ago, OpenWheel said:

Apologies for exclusion of Gotway as I'm less familiar with their tech.

If one is interested in performance they always seemed to be first choice. Now with the veteran as big player in this field.

But still "power" and "performance" would need to be defined as these terms cover wide ranges...

One could include in such a definition build quality - some measure how long a wheel can perfom without problems...

• Like 2

Hi! Thanks for replying to my post. Can you think of anyone on the forum who would have data on the power/torque curves or voltage/current curves under varying load etc? Just trying to benchmark how many amps these wheels are using under general operating conditions.

Thanks