WARNING! Sealant / Slime on patched tyres - DO NOT MIX

Boogieman

Sucks to hear, but thank you for the information. I make a habit of buying 2-3 tubes as soon as I buy a vehicle that has them. Shipping and wait times can seem forever when you just want to ride. Maybe I'll have wasted $20 and never use the tubes, but so it goes. Sucks that you went thru the effort of the patch process, only to find out the slime undermined you. My preference has always been to keep tubes and patches and avoid slime type things. Again, all a matter of choice, not trying to start a  war. How much does a patch kit cost nowadays, and how many patches you get out of it?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Sucks to hear, but thank you for the information. I make a habit of buying 2-3 tubes as soon as I buy a vehicle that has them. Shipping and wait times can seem forever when you just want to ride. Maybe I'll have wasted $20 and never use the tubes, but so it goes. Sucks that you went thru the effort of the patch process, only to find out the slime undermined you. My preference has always been to keep tubes and patches and avoid slime type things. Again, all a matter of choice, not trying to start a  war. How much does a patch kit cost nowadays, and how many patches you get out of it?

I didn't really care about the patch cost at my first flat :-)

i bought a patch kit from Zefal (like 10$)

slime from zefal, about the same (great on pin holes)

Fix a flat spray can (slime + air) for fix flats "in the field. About the same for bicycle can (small) vs cheaper for car tyre can (big) about 7$. I just wanted a small container for the backpack so...but its really a lot more expensive for bikes as the volume is lower or they know they CAN charge more. Im sure its the same content as its rubber in both tyres/tubes and you only vulk rubber with one ingredient :-)

LIKELY also fix a flat on can gives the same result if you have a patched tube (same thing, it vulks the rubber to create a seal + some rubber goo to "plug" hole that is now vulked). You can get home at a safe speed, but i wouldn't go further than that.

My resoning was the same as yours. 16*2.125 tubes with bent nozzle in line with wheel ONLY comes from China and its even hard to find the righr tube on Ali (I asked in my country in all bicycle, kid trollley, wheel cart stores but none had that tyre..not even online).

Right now i have bought a dunlop valve tube and will cut the stem and add an angled adapter with a valve inside, to be able to ride (carefully) the month it takes from China. X'ing fingers...sorry FINGER (SINGULAR) it will hold up 😂

Agree on spare tube, inwas about to make it tubeless but failed and didnt find a decent seller on Ali so now i had the time. Took 3 days to find a good seller that could deliver the right tube (language barrier, chat delay due to time zone and sucky info on Ali)

Edited by Boogieman