MTen3 and wobbles

WPS

I'm  new rider haven ridden for about 5 weeks now.  I started with a V10 and have been gaining confidence with each ride. Still working on making sharper turns but I'm ahead of my own learning schedule. Did my longest ride yet yesterday of 9 miles with no issues. I purchased a MTen3 about 2 weeks ago after reading all the great reviews but, contrary to the reviews, I'm finding it really hard to ride.  Granted I've only ridden it 4 or 5 times, and I'm 68 so my balance is not what it used to be, but this thing wobbles a lot. It wobbles at low speed (under 6mph), it wobbles at medium speed (7-14mph). I haven't gone any faster as I don't have good enough control at this point. I loose it through about half the turns due to the wobble. I've tried different foot positions which didn't help.  I can reduce the wobble a bit by really gripping hard with my ankles but it just a small decrease and I can't keep that up throughout a ride. At this point, I'm really glad I didn't start with this as my first wheel, as had been recommended .  The v10 is far easier to ride for me and feels almost 'natural'.  I assume I'll get this with time but it is definitely a different riding experience from my inmotion. Any suggestions? My tire pressure is 32 psi and I was going to reduce that to 28 to see if that helped but that really seems low.     Thanks!

Basically you bought a Limo and a go-kart...

Give yourself some credit and some TIME. It takes (way) more than 5 weeks to feel at ease on both...

Cheers!:cheers:

Edited by pico

1 hour ago, pico said:

Basically you bought a Limo and a go-kart...

Great line. I'll definitely give it more time I was just surprised at what a different experience it is from the V10.

Edited by WPS
added word
  • Like 1

The Mten3 is highly reactive. To boot it transforms itself from a toe and heel machine to a body throw machine past a certain speed. The ergonomics are questionable.

The V10, and V10F are body machines, quite ergonomic but top heavy. Mostly irresponsive  to toe and heel technics. This is why some say it is sluggish. It needs some serious motivation (meaning body engagement) to become wild!

I hope this helps...

6 hours ago, pico said:

The Mten3 is highly reactive. To boot it transforms itself from a toe and heel machine to a body throw machine past a certain speed. The ergonomics are questionable.

The V10, and V10F are body machines, quite ergonomic but top heavy. Mostly irresponsive  to toe and heel technics. This is why some say it is sluggish. It needs some serious motivation (meaning body engagement) to become wild!

I hope this helps...

I appreciate your responses and have enjoyed your videos on the MTen3.  How long did it take you to get that good on it? At this point I can't imagine getting to that level on it.

• Like 1

Like u, I too am a new wheeler. I order a Tesla V2 1480 over the spring & thought that would be it. Then I read more & discovered the Mten3 & decided I need it as well cos it looked so much fun. Waddayakno, not only is it fun, its fun going slow & bonus, I ain't walking again....ever!:D. Wifey's tired of rolling her eyes when I find all sorts of reasons to do little chores for her so long as it implies a some travel distance outdoors.

While I did find the Mten3 more twitchy/wobbly than the Tesla, here's how I overcame it.

1.I started by doing a one leg pendulums with the other planted firmly on ground. Repeat til comfortable.

2.Then I started cruising the wheel on one leg with other foot off ground for short distances (say a ft to several). Repeat til comfortable.

3.Then while rolling forward, I mounted other foot on pedal & dismounted shortly. Repeat til comfortable.

After enough of practise (took me a 1/2hr), moving, mounting & dismounting while keeping upper body straight (or as straight as I can), things just got easier & easier. Soon I was wheeling forwards & backwards (which is alot easier on the Mten3). FWIW I just the same tactics on learning the Tesla which was my very time on a wheel. Now my Tesla is my longdist weekend ride, commuter & sightseeing wheel & the Mten3 is my "parkour" (I wish) toy. It makes me wanna just go outside & do dumb things like wheeling on ledges (very low ofcos), doing extremely tight circles, pendulums, backwards & jumps as well.

Hope it helps! Keep at it as the Mten3 is a blast - I'm not walking again!

ps: woohoo my very 1st post here as a wheeler.

20 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

Like u, I too am a new wheeler. I order a Tesla V2 1480 over the spring & thought that would be it. Then I read more & discovered the Mten3 & decided I need it as well cos it looked so much fun. Waddayakno, not only is it fun, its fun going slow & bonus, I ain't walking again.... ever! :D. Wifey's tired of rolling her eyes when I find all sorts of reasons to do little chores for her so long as it implies a some travel distance outdoors.

While I did find the Mten3 more twitchy/wobbly than the Tesla, here's how I overcame it.

1.I started by doing a one leg pendulums with the other planted firmly on ground. Repeat til comfortable.

2.Then I started cruising the wheel on one leg with other foot off ground for short distances (say a ft to several). Repeat til comfortable.

3.Then while rolling forward, I mounted other foot on pedal & dismounted shortly. Repeat til comfortable.

After enough of practise (took me a 1/2hr), moving, mounting & dismounting while keeping upper body straight (or as straight as I can), things just got easier & easier. Soon I was wheeling forwards & backwards (which is alot easier on the Mten3). FWIW I just the same tactics on learning the Tesla which was my very time on a wheel. Now my Tesla is my longdist weekend ride, commuter & sightseeing wheel & the Mten3 is my "parkour" (I wish) toy. It makes me wanna just go outside & do dumb things like wheeling on ledges (very low ofcos), doing extremely tight circles, pendulums, backwards & jumps as well.

Hope it helps! Keep at it as the Mten3 is a blast - I'm not walking again!

ps: woohoo my very 1st post here as a wheeler.

Thanks for the suggestions!  I did these same things when starting on my V10. I assumed, wrongly, that I wouldn't need to repeat that on the MTen3.  Sounds like I need to start from scratch. 

2 hours ago, WPS said:

How long did it take you to get that good on it?

I acquired the Mten3 about a year ago.

It was a piece of cake for me as I already had two years of the V5F under my belt (wayyy more twitchy than the Mten3 IMHO)

2 hours ago, WPS said:

At this point I can't imagine getting to that level on it.

You will if you dedicate yourself to it. No secrets. Just practice...;) 

Play it safe...and enjoy the journey...

• Like 1