How to be sure hoverboards are safe?

Terry Michael

• 3 months later...

There are some Features that you must checked before buying a hoverboard in order to make sure its Safety. The hoverboard must be UL certified. In 2020 there are a lot of manufacturers that build hoverboards, You must buy hoverboards from top manufacturers to stay safe from any incidents

(Link removed to prevent the possibility of spam)

Edited by meepmeepmayer

Hi Terry, 

These days most hoverboards are "safe". They are as safe as a self-balancing vehicle that holds your entire weight with two tiny motors and a battery can be :D
I've fallen ill once and it didn't end up that bad. I was testing out a 18 mph hoverboard and I wanted to see exactly how fast it could go. I ended up pushing past the beeping and into a 1 on 1 with the asphalt. A couple of scratches but I could stand up on it straight again and keep on riding. Haven't fallen since and I've tested 100+ of units.
You want to just make sure that depending on where you're going to ride and who is going to ride it (weight) you get something that can provide enough power to handle your weight. Catching fire was pretty rare to begin with and its almost gone completely now but you should always be sure that its UL 2272 certified and I tend to always recommend(still even though you shouldn't need it) a timer adapter that you can put 3-5 hrs whatever yours take to charge and it shuts the off the current once the time is out. That way you can give yourself a pat on the back that you're taking the safety measures you can to prevent any problems.

I wrote a guide on this a few years ago but its a bit outdated but I found this one and its a pretty nice write-up so that I don't have to go in to the nitty gritty details:
https://aridejunkie.com/hoverboard-safety-guide/
But I hope you've already got a nice and safe experience with a hoverboard already. The fire problems were mainly caused by stupid assembly. I had more in for repairs that had a blown bluetooth resistance that had caught fire and I never saw one that started with the battery. Altough I did open up a few 36v/4.0Ah lithium battery packs and they looked like a jungle in terms of wiring. Someone deciding to build a battery out of sticks and stones would have done a better job. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 1:19 PM, Hands free segway said:

Hi Terry, 

These days most hoverboards are "safe". They are as safe as a self-balancing vehicle that holds your entire weight with two tiny motors and a battery can be :D
I've fallen ill once and it didn't end up that bad. I was testing out a 18 mph hoverboard and I wanted to see exactly how fast it could go. I ended up pushing past the beeping and into a 1 on 1 with the asphalt. A couple of scratches but I could stand up on it straight again and keep on riding. Haven't fallen since and I've tested 100+ of units.
You want to just make sure that depending on where you're going to ride and who is going to ride it (weight) you get something that can provide enough power to handle your weight. Catching fire was pretty rare to begin with and its almost gone completely now but you should always be sure that its UL 2272 certified and I tend to always recommend(still even though you shouldn't need it) a timer adapter that you can put 3-5 hrs whatever yours take to charge and it shuts the off the current once the time is out. That way you can give yourself a pat on the back that you're taking the safety measures you can to prevent any problems.

I wrote a guide on this a few years ago but its a bit outdated but I found this one and its a pretty nice write-up so that I don't have to go in to the nitty gritty details:
https://aridejunkie.com/hoverboard-safety-guide/
But I hope you've already got a nice and safe experience with a hoverboard already. The fire problems were mainly caused by stupid assembly. I had more in for repairs that had a blown bluetooth resistance that had caught fire and I never saw one that started with the battery. Altough I did open up a few 36v/4.0Ah lithium battery packs and they looked like a jungle in terms of wiring. Someone deciding to build a battery out of sticks and stones would have done a better job. :)

--

Hi guys, I found the guide above pretty helpful. We're getting two this christmas for the kids so really want to keep the hospital visits to a minimum ;-)