Anti-Spin Button (V8F)

slapula

I apologize if this has been asked before... I tried searching to the best of my ability and couldn't find anything related to the question I'm about to ask.

Anyway, I just got a V8F a couple days ago and I've been practicing with it for around an hour a day for the past 3 days.  I'm new to EUCs (and PEVs in general) so I've had to bail off my wheel a number of times.  One thing I'm noticing when I recover my wheel is that it will sometimes rev itself up so fast that it turns off.  When I lift up the wheel, I make sure to hold down the anti-spin button to prevent this but it doesn't seem to work every time.  Is this... normal? Or should I be concerned with the function of that button?  I makes me nervous every time it does that and I'm worried that this behavior is adding unnecessary wear to my wheel.

The anti-spin functionality (on every wheel) won't engage if the motor is already turning (except very slowly). This is to prevent a button press or electrical failure in the button to insta-crash you when you're actually riding.

(Same for power buttons only working when the motor is nearly still.)

Could this be why the button doesn't work every time for you? The tire is already spinning fast enough so the anti-spin won't engage?

• Like 1

That makes sense!  I think what I am experiencing falls within what you are describing.  It's very possible that I'm picking up my EUC before the wheel slows down within the mentioned threshold.  I've been more careful with it over the past few days and it hasn't happened again.  Thanks!

• Like 2

Is it possible that the engine is separate from the wheel itself?  There were a couple times when I consciously stopped the wheel with my foot right before I picked it up but it still revved up like before.  Anyway,  I have a handle on it now thanks to your explanation :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slapula said:

Is it possible that the engine is separate from the wheel itself?  There were a couple times when I consciously stopped the wheel with my foot right before I picked it up but it still revved up like before.  Anyway,  I have a handle on it now thanks to your explanation :-)

The EUC may have been stopped in the spot but was still righting itself, and so the motor/tire was still moving?

Or maybe you picked it up and tilted it and before the button was pressed down enough to activate, the wheel had already spun up beyond the threshold?

Anyways, whatever the reason, I don't see any issue here. Your V8F seems to behave exactly as expected:) You certainly don't have to worry about any wear if it merely spins up in the air, that is literally nothing compared to just riding it.

(Btw "wheel" here means the entire electric unicycle, not just some part of it, if that was confusing.)

Edited by meepmeepmayer
spelling
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...