Repair

rtwilson021

Hello everyone.

I have an electric unicycle that is 'broken.'  Not exactly certain what is wrong, but the tire will no longer spin freely (it feels like there are magnets that grab, then release, then grab, etc) and when turned on it error (beeps) continuously.  I am by no stretch of the imagination handy with electronics, so I had a friend briefly look at it and he said he thinks it is the "hall sensor."  Just a guess based on some research he did.  The brand is a Kaboo and it is a K-5 Samurai.  I can find very little info about this brand (it was given to me from someone who traveled to China and brought it back).  

Any ideas on where I could get this fixed?  I have looked online, etc. and cannot find anyone that could repair this.  Nor do I know if the parts could even be found.  Any ideas?

Thank you.

Rich

16 minutes ago, rtwilson021 said:

Hello everyone.

Hi!

I have an electric unicycle that is 'broken.'  Not exactly certain what is wrong, but the tire will no longer spin freely (it feels like there are magnets that grab, then release, then grab, etc)

This sounds like (some) motor coils are suortened. A short circuit of the coils act as motor brake.

Could be some molten wires/connectors. Mostly this is caused by fried mosfets on the mainboard. One can check this by disconnecting the motor from the board - if it spins freely again the short is on the board. Fried mosfets can mostly be seen. Molten legs, destroyed cases - but hey also can look incospiscous.

Often motor cable insulation is broken/"insulted" were the motor cables exit the motor axle. Could be a short curcuit there, too.

20 minutes ago, rtwilson021 said:

and when turned on it error (beeps) continuously.  I am by no stretch of the imagination handy with electronics, so I had a friend briefly look at it and he said he thinks it is the "hall sensor."

The hall sensors could be a cause for fried mosfets.

21 minutes ago, rtwilson021 said:

Any ideas on where I could get this fixed?  I have looked online, etc. and cannot find anyone that could repair this.  Nor do I know if the parts could even be found.  Any ideas?

Some chance is just replacing the motherboard.

Or just the fried mosfets. With prior inspection of the pcb/wiring and connectors. And inspection of the hall sensor.