Is this normal - gotway acm

Hi all, have a clunking when I go over bumps I have only just got the wheel.  Seems to be play when moving backwards and forwards, is it normal? Not only have I just got wheel but it's my first wheel fullstop so I have no idea!   Long time Onewheel rider and loving EUC so far!!

It's quieter than it sounds on the video

I watched a video where Hsiang had this sound from his brand new monster and it turned out to be the axle was loose. With so few parts I would almost bet money that you are hearing the same issue. I think in his case, it started as a noise and ended up getting to the point that the wheel would shudder. Does yours feel like it could be this? NOW I see why a slotted socket could prove useful. Making tools can be so fun. Another win for that awesome GW quality control... I'd advise to stop making it do that or riding it until you find/fix the issue. If you continue and it get loose enough, it will spin in the case and shear the motor wiring. Of COURSE Marty has a video about this... :roflmao:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

If you arent any kind of tech now, I guess here's your crash course. Dont forget to put your tools back. I wonder what the torque spec is for the axle nut, or if gotway even bothered to test the parts to determine it? There's a fine line between as tight as possible and so tight that the metals are stretching. I would definitely loc-tite the hell out of it and perhaps try to even stake/mark the nut. Once it's tight, if it happens again, you are facing metal fatigue and need to remain diligent with it. F**king gotway, who'd have thought the only axle in a vehicle, should be double checked and spec'd for quality? Best of luck!

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Thanks all for the advice, managed to strip the wheel down today and whilst it didn't seem loose I tightened everything and reassembled and wheel is great now... So it seems to have resolved issue, I have only had a short test as the rain is back but looks good so far 😀😀

Thanks again

• Like 1