V5F Dead - Cannot Power On

raulor

hi folks, I did close to 200km with my V5F and am still very happy until yesterday where I did a ride and had around 5 km remaining battery power and I took a break on the road without turning off the wheel because I was recording a trip with the Inmotion App. When. I wanted to continue after 10 minutes I realized that the wheel was off and would not react on power on with sensor button. I suspected that the battery was surprisingly empty and carried the wheel back home (which is heavier than you believe - when the way home is 2 kms).

At home I connected the charger and there was NO light on the wheel showing any life sign. The Charger itself showed the normal red light on the powersupply and that turned green after a few hours. So it seems the charging itself worked and the battery must be full now.

I used the reset button and tried 100 times to turn on - the wheel is completely dead. when I spin the wheel itself I can turn it but there is resistance (like normal when turning an electric motor). That is the reason I could not trolley it back home as it is not rolling freely.

At home I watched the YouTube video to dismantle the wheel and I did that. I disconnected the battery, I checked the fuse and it is ok. I measured the battery (before the charging) and it had 72V. I could not see any blown capacitor or other obvious signs on the board. Some people on the web told about green led light on the board - I cannot see any of that...

I reassembled all again and charged it overnight in the hope for a miracle. It does not work...

Any ideas what else I could try? 

Who can tell which cable on the motherboard is coming from the power on sensor and which one comes from the handle sensor that turns off the wheel when lifting it?

I do not think all other lights turn off when using the kill switch on the handle so I doubt it is that one. The sensor button for the power on and off is my suspect or the board itself...

Regsrds

Raulor

1 hour ago, Prausch said:

no I cannot connect - there is no sign of life on the wheel. no lights, nothing

Sounds like the board to me, but I'm no expert...hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help you out

hi, just to close this, I replaced the board and it works again. strange though as it only has a few km on the clock. The old board also looks completely fine except that it doesn't work...

• 3 months later...
On 5/3/2020 at 6:26 PM, raulor said:

hi, just to close this, I replaced the board and it works again. strange though as it only has a few km on the clock. The old board also looks completely fine except that it doesn't work...

I had exactly the same issue with my V5F+. During a ride on a rainy day it switched off and could not be switched on again. And the wheel had this resistance, so it could not turn freely. After disassembling at home, I found, that the motor was in "short circuit" status. That means all 3 motor wires were connected to each other over the board. So the motor was acting like a generator and braking itself. After disconnecting the 3 motor connecters the wheel was spinning again without resistance. 

That means, probably the semiconductors (triacs ?) on the board were internally "broken", maybe because of incoming water wich created a tracking path. On the board itself was nothing strange visible.

After replacing with a new board the ewheel is workin again. So now I sealed the board housing with silicone, especially the the ducts for the cables.

• 10 months later...

I had exactly the same. After a few km I took a break and the wheel was dead. I had to replace the board as well. All was good until a few months ago. The the inmotion app won’t connect anymore . It tells about an incorrect serial. Any idea what I can do?