Considering upgrading my 16S

I am really new to EUCs. I just bought mine about 6 weeks ago and already wanting to upgrade though I'm not sure I really need to.

I bought it mainly for transportation to commute 3 miles (5km) to work everyday, so I can give you my car and parking fees. After researching for a couple weeks I ended up with a Kingsong 16s. I weigh around 200lb (91kg). I've put about 100 miles in my EUC in 6 weeks but I max out speed every time I ride now. Also I feel like I'm a little sluggish going up all the hills here.

I'm really considering upgrading to a Gotway MSX (84V). IT would add about 17V increase in power and 10 mile an hour to top speed and I'm hoping would help get up hills more easily.  Is the MSX a good upgrade choice from the 16s? Really working I spent a little more up front at this point but I love my 16S and may still end up sticking with it.

• Like 1

I went from the 16S to the 84V MSX, when I also weighed 91kg. The MSX is a very, very different animal! Like going from a Pinto to a Land Rover. If you want stability, speed and power, you’re going to the right direction.

But the MSX requires DIY work to be as comfortable as the 16S is. The MSX pedals are angled sideways very steep, and I had to file the angle down for it to be properly rideable for me. Power pads (front and back) are also very recommended, so you can properly harness the power on a large tire diameter wheel.

There are many other options as well. 18XL, Nikola, V11, etc...

If you haven’t yet upgraded to the firmware 2.0, do it! It makes the 16S silent from the whine, and it increases the feeling of power.

Ps. Voltage does not measure power, but all ~2000W wheels are much more powerful than the 1200W 16S.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I went from the 16S to the 84V MSX, when I also weighed 91kg. The MSX is a very, very different animal! Like going from a Pinto to a Land Rover. If you want stability, speed and power, you’re going to the right direction.

But the MSX requires DIY work to be as comfortable as the 16S is. The MSX pedals are angled sideways very steep, and I had to file the angle down for it to be properly rideable for me. Power pads (front and back) are also very recommended, so you can properly harness the power on a large tire diameter wheel.

There are many other options as well. 18XL, Nikola, V11, etc...

If you haven’t yet upgraded to the firmware 2.0, do it! It makes the 16S silent from the whine, and it increases the feeling of power.

Ps. Voltage does not measure power, but all ~2000W wheels are much more powerful than the 1200W 16S.

Thanks for that feedback. The main reason I was wanting the MSX was that I found a deal on Facebook where I can sell my 16s and get the MSX for around $400 more. I had already been considering this wheel mainly due to my size and the added power. I would love the new ks wheel with suspension but that's more than I want to spend. I bought my wheel looking for transportation but now I'm riding it all the time for fun. I just hate the tilt back I'm getting. I know I can increase those limits but I am pretty sure I'm at the max capacity of the wheel. I set tilt back and alarms for 35km. I love riding but feel like I need more power and just a little more speed than the 16s has.

• Like 1

Sounds like you found an incredibly good offer. If other 18-inchers are not in the same cost ballpark, then absolutely, take the offer! Just be sure it’s not a scam.

The MSX will feel very different and strange at first. The pedal angle can feel impossible, the sidepads can hurt, the trolley is horrible to control, and it will feel like it doesn’t accelerate or brake properly. But a big part of those feelings is just handling a wheel you’re not familiar with. It always requires a little time.

• Like 1

Thanks again mrelwood, I messaged the guy and told him I wanted his wheel now I'm waiting to hear back from the guy who wanted to buy mine.

When you say ordeal angle feels impossible, what do you mean? Is it too high front to back or side to side? I don't mind modifying myself. I was already looking at the thread about putting a kill button on it so I can lift it off needed

3 hours ago, Tuna said:

When you say ordeal angle feels impossible, what do you mean? Is it too high front to back or side to side?

Side to side, also called a dihedral angle. Many of us have modified the pedals for a more comfortable angle, so it shouldn’t be too hard to find tips and even photos on where and how exactly to shave. I found a large flat handheld file to work well for me. Just don’t take too much, as the angle will probably change faster than you’d think.

• Like 2

I ended up selling my 16s and picking up the MSX. Only got to be for maybe a mile on it and pedals aren't definitely different. I'm going to give it a longer ride tomorrow and see if it's something I can get used to before filing them down. 

MSX definitely has a smoother feel to it. I'm used to the hum or winding sound of the 16s. New wheel way quieter. 16s felt easier to sling around but I'm guessing it'll just take some getting used to the new wheel, but it is significantly heavier to

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 9:59 PM, Tuna said:

I ended up selling my 16s and picking up the MSX. Only got to be for maybe a mile on it and pedals aren't definitely different. I'm going to give it a longer ride tomorrow and see if it's something I can get used to before filing them down. 

MSX definitely has a smoother feel to it. I'm used to the hum or winding sound of the 16s. New wheel way quieter. 16s felt easier to sling around but I'm guessing it'll just take some getting used to the new wheel, but it is significantly heavier to

I love your KS16s. Thanks! haha.