MCM5 side led mod with WiFi control

Delmeekc

So took my wheel apart to check on any water ingress since my 2.50 tyre mod as got caught in the bit of snow we had Thursday.  Where I cut the return from the transparent led cover water and gravel had got in, solved now with some 1mm neoprene.  Anyway back to the topic, whilst it was apart took the vent apart and thought, nice place for some RGB LEDs.

I had loads of led left over from doing the kitchen and a spare WiFi controller. I already purchased a step down converter from 22-120v with an adjustable output 8-28v which was on its way from china.  And it turned up whilst it was apart on Friday, so the butchering began.

Was difficult doing the soldering on the LEDs as only wanted on connection per side to mess about with and had to find mounting points for all the parts. Took the power direct from the output harness and it permanently connected.  Worked it out and in standby it will flatten the battery in 51 years time so we are all good.  Also controller would reset if I added a switch.

The only cutting was reducing the two posts under the cover, with these cut down the 5050 waterproof led strip fit in perfectly within the gap.  

I'll do a video later when it's dark, finally I will be seen from the side when it's dark, look pretty cool too.

Didn't take any photos apart from the two below as tbh I forgot, even this morning when putting it back together.  Photos show the internal plastic covers that cover the vents, only held in place with 2 little strips of gaffa tape.

IMG_20200228_165551.jpg

IMG_20200228_165554_1.jpg

• Like 1

Decided to fit a switch as I think my math was out and will last a lot less than I first thought. Time to get some photos too and also add a final bit of led to the spare connector. Currently waiting for silicon to go off.

IMG_20200302_112943.jpg

IMG_20200302_112953_1.jpg

• 2 years later...