MCM5 14x2.50 Tyre Mod with a difference

Delmeekc

Just out of curiosity. How do you measure the imbalance?

On bike wheels you spin and see which point wants to end up at 6 'o clock (usually but not always) the valve. Then some weight like a golf club/badminton racket weight is taped at 12 'o clock and then retest

Considering the drag of the motor won't allow it to spin free I wonder how you do it.

Edited by alcatraz

I used some wood and some digital kitchen scales. I put a 75mm square block on the scales and laid a piece of wood about 500mm long on to it, so it was a slope. Then load the EUC on its side, wheel down with the top of the wheel inside the case just by the block. I had to try a few different positions to get the best place with the highest difference and not overloading the scales.  Once it was placed I rotated the wheel and you could see the difference.  Easiest way was to zero then with the valve downwards.  Seemed to work fine and did it both ways up until it stayed at zero.  Added about 8g either side within 100mm of each other.  Vibration on a spin test is pretty much zero now and was bad before.  I don't have any slime as this would probably make it really difficult as it stays liquid and moves in the wheel I believe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So after a few miles, it rides very different and a lot more planted. Changed to medium from soft mode as the size and drag on the tyre running less air has slowed the wheel slightly, acceleration etc. May try hard mode in a week or two.  Range has lost 2-3 miles, normally get a solid 20 miles before I start getting beeps at full load and now that's happening around 17-18 miles.  Very pleased though that I did the mod as a much more comfortable ride is no being had so I don't have to worry about all the little bumps etc and can just ride up dropped kerbs without taking the weight off the wheel.