Gotway MS3 threaded screw

Cerbera

Went to pop a new tyre on my beloved MS3 over Christmas, as the old one is looking pretty worn down now. This was the first time I've had to open the wheel since I got it 3 years ago, but I felt suitably primed having watched all the helpful teardown vids by speedyfeet etc and had the right tools and the correct size of and type of screwdrivers. Got the side panel off OK, and all but one of the screws that hold the inner case to the other side. That last screw, unfortunately, one of the most deeply recessed ones near the rear light, has got a deformed slot that no screwdriver I own will grip anything like enough to loosen it. Fairly sure that I didn't do it myself, but I suspect my increasingly frantic efforts to try lots of different screw drivers may have exacerbated the situation.

That one screw is holding the case annoyingly tightly together, I can't change the tyre and I am wondering if there is anything I can try first before I have to either drill it out, or go get a dremmel and cut through the post and screw from the other side ? I guess I can't get in there with any cutting tools to 'flat-head' the screw because of the deep channel it's in.

Kinda figure I can't be the only person who has ever had this...

All advice most welcome. Thanks everyone.

Edited by Cerbera

Hmmm. Thanks Gene. I don't know much about those other than they apply rotational force, but presume they can't do anything with a head that has nothing at all remaining to grip ? And they are £130, which I'd rather not spend if I don't have to...

In the absence of one of those I guess drilling out is the next best option ?

Cheers

Oops! I should have said manual impact driver. Here is a link to a complete set on amazon for 15 USD.

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8-Inch-Manual-7-Piece/dp/B000NPPATS?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJ2FBRG2HML4LG3BQ&tag=topproreviews-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000NPPATS

I have had pretty good luck with these, though not this one in particular. If there is anything left of the screwdriver slot, one good whack with a hammer usually does the trick. If it saves the hassle of drilling the screw out, the money is well spent.