Swallowbot install / first impression

I ordered one of the m4m swallowbot boards and installed it today. I have a standard wheels/etc. After installation, it looks like I could hit 14mph. I only had a chance to ride it a few minutes and will report back on this thread after I get a chance to really drive it around.

Installation took me longer than I had hoped, but was ultimately pretty reasonable. Technically speaking, it is similar to swapping out a motherboard on a computer. The devices are remarkably well engineered and it was pretty easy to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

The most difficult aspects were trying to squeeze some of the small connectors that are on the underside of the motherboard while you pull them out (probably having a tool like the one on the instructional videos would have made it easier ... I used needle nose pliers). I had a hard time re-seating the motherboard as mine had some hardened white stuff (resin?) that made a nice tight fit at the end of the day but meant I couldn't drop it straight down.

If you are going to do this, watch both the short video and the much longer video (you can skip the part where he is driving around). I'm glad I watched it before attempting the installation.

One of the steps is pulling 6 ~banana plugs (not sure if that is the correct technical term). In the videos, you just pull them. Mine were shrink wrapped, so I had to use some pointy/smaller scissors to remove the shrink wrap.

One thing not mentioned in the short video that was mentioned in the long video is that when you turn it on after all is said and done, it basically drives in a circle until you power it off and power it on again. This would have freaked me out if I wasn't prepared for it so I turned it on while upside down the first time.

As mentioned above, all I've done is just drive up and down the block a few times to test the speed. I'll report more on the general ride once I've driven it some more.

• Like 3

I got a chance to drive a mile or so yesterday after posting. I didn’t experience any tilt back during my ride as I didn’t find myself hitting the new top speed. Instead, I was able to drive a bit faster than I previously would without the constant interruption of beeps and tilt back. It’s too early to declare victory, but it feels like this has addressed my primary gripe about my mini pro.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes - they are. I've had a lot of ride time in since my original post and I am still *VERY* happy that I upgraded. While I can't back this up w/ actual speed measurements, I feel like I'm not typically breaking (much?) past the original speed limit but what really matters is that I'm no longer fighting against the device (tilt back) while riding. To me -- this makes it feel safer (and certainly a lot more fun). 

• Like 1

I ordered one a while back, but I have not installed it as the weather is not very cooperative and I've been outfitting a new e-bike as well.  Since they had 15% off again for CyberMonday I ordered a couple more boards since i have other MiniPros and based on reports I'll want to upgrade everyone I'm riding and good to have a spare as well.  I'll probably even order a couple more at some point.

I won't switch my main MiniPro right away,  but I had put the Chinese so called 'swallowbot' board in a MiniPro and it didn't give me any speed increase that I needed, although it was not too bad to ride.  I'll pull that board out and stick in a true Swallowbot board in the next little while and hopefully get some weather to test it in.  If it works as expected,  then i will update it with the hybrid tires, and probably the Scout rollbar I've had hanging around for ages.  If that all goes well I will update my main one one even though it means losing my mileage; on that one I already run the larger Sport tires.    

I'm very excited to renew my MiniPros.  I'll get to try the new board and the Hybrid tires if it all goes smooth.  I'll be reporting back later with my experience with the board.

• 1 month later...

Any update on how the board faired in the mini pro? I am not a DIY guy at all so if I purchase one, I live is US, new England region, how long for arrival and do you think someone who works on computers say, could swap it out? 

Thanks for any response

On 1/17/2020 at 6:30 PM, Russmarch69 said:

Any update on how the board faired in the mini pro? I am not a DIY guy at all so if I purchase one, I live is US, new England region, how long for arrival and do you think someone who works on computers say, could swap it out? 

Thanks for any response

Sorry, no update yet. I'm also in New England and the weather has been pretty crappy and I've been trying to get out on my bike when I can.  Had a broken pipe to deal with and other aggravations in live.  Hopefully I will do it soon.  Delivery is just about a week or less from M4M, and installation is pretty easy.  There are pictures on the forums here and I think maybe even a couple videos, but my memory is fuzzy.  

First thing about installation is it is good to watch a teardown or something so you can see how all the cables route so you don't pinch one getting things back together because it was not fed directly.  The first time one talked them apart the numbers can seem a bit stiff and you are scared to get them off.  If I remember right you only need 1 number completely off and the other just loose.  I may have mentioned that in my earlier posts with the other board or for some other mods. 

Second thing to know is that you should have some heatsink compound that you can use when putting the new board in. you could probably get by with being careful and resting what's there, but I always apply new stuff.

In general a computer assembler or someone with basic electronic and mechanical assembly skills should be able to do it fairly easy in an hour or less.  After a few times it would be like 15min, so that gives you some idea of the difficulty.  

Other people have all reported success in the Commercial thread and on the M4M site, so I'm pretty sure there should not be any issues.

Good Luck!

• 5 months later...
On 1/17/2020 at 6:30 PM, Russmarch69 said:

Thanks for any response

FYI: I finally got around to updating one of my MiniPros, but several others have done it already so you are probably all set. Did you update yours, and if so how did it work out?

Edited by FreeRide