How to replace IPS I5 tire?

ORYLY

I've been able to open it up but I just can't force the tire over the rim. Videos for bike tires show them using plastic tire levers, but I'm not sure how much they help because my (gentle) probing with flathead screwdrivers doesn't seem to make any progress.

Is it much easier to use tire levers or is it likely I'm missing something obvious? For example, I can't seem to force the center wheel out of the half of the shell. But in tire replacement videos of other brands, they're able to detach the wheel completely from the enclosure.

Okay, it turns out that using plastic levers does help. When you start to apply force, I think the slight sharpness of a metal tool causes it to dig into the rubber. But a plastic lever will just push the rubber out of the way.

Once this was done, I could replace the tube and tire without having to detach the rim from the shell.

Man, this is such a pain. How often does tire/tube replacement happen? The side puncture that caused all this happened on my 4th or 5th trip ever on an EUC. Is it possible

• 2 weeks later...

Probably you are riding on a low pressure. I had to change once only and it happened when I did run on low pressure that I though it was enough. If you feel the wheel like moving sideways on rides, it's definitely on low. PS. Check the tire pressure weekly.

As for changing the tire I used no tools (except to open the case). You simply need to align one side of the outer tube in the center of the rim, which makes room on the other side to slip (with slight force) over the rim. once you have one wall, the tube can go out easily. You only need to slip out one wall of the outer tire at a time. Same thing in reverse to slip the tube back in making sure you don't pinch the inner tube.

Archived