Electrical Question: Hoverboard Charger Polarity

GamingBarbecue256

I have a hoverboard with a broken charger cable. The cable broke right at the connection to the board. I think that I can resolder the connector, but I am not having much luck figuring out the polarity of each of the pins on the hoverboard itself.

Is there a way to determine this, short of dissassembling the hoverboard itself? It is a Mozzie, if that is any help.

17 hours ago, GamingBarbecue256 said:

I have a hoverboard with a broken charger cable. The cable broke right at the connection to the board. I think that I can resolder the connector, but I am not having much luck figuring out the polarity of each of the pins on the hoverboard itself.

Is there a way to determine this, short of dissassembling the hoverboard itself? It is a Mozzie, if that is any help.

Hello,

We wouldn't recommend guessing the polarity or even attempting to fix this. Broken charger cables require a new charger. Having said this, the charger socket within the Hoverboard itself is easily replaceable and is cheap and simple enough to replace yourself.

If you flip the Hoverboard upside down and remove the back casing to the power/charger side, you'll be able to see the red and black cable signalling which is +/-.

Alternatively, you can attempt the old multi-meter trick. Should let you know however, that if you get the polarity wrong then you WILL risk sparking both the charger cable AND and charger pin, as well as possibly damaging your battery.

Hope this helps.

SWEGWAY-PRO

10 hours ago, SWEGWAY-PRO said:

Hello,

We wouldn't recommend guessing the polarity or even attempting to fix this. Broken charger cables require a new charger. Having said this, the charger socket within the Hoverboard itself is easily replaceable and is cheap and simple enough to replace yourself.

If you flip the Hoverboard upside down and remove the back casing to the power/charger side, you'll be able to see the red and black cable signalling which is +/-.

Alternatively, you can attempt the old multi-meter trick. Should let you know however, that if you get the polarity wrong then you WILL risk sparking both the charger cable AND and charger pin, as well as possibly damaging your battery.

Hope this helps.

SWEGWAY-PRO

Yeah, I figured that it might be fairly easy to sort out if I take the hoverboard apart. I was trying to avoid that, as I'll need to find a torx screwdriver for this one.

I think that I can determine the polarity of the charger itself with a multimeter, though I haven't tried to yet.

Thanks for the reply!

On 10/26/2018 at 2:30 AM, GamingBarbecue256 said:

Yeah, I figured that it might be fairly easy to sort out if I take the hoverboard apart. I was trying to avoid that, as I'll need to find a torx screwdriver for this one.

I think that I can determine the polarity of the charger itself with a multimeter, though I haven't tried to yet.

Thanks for the reply!

That's strange! Most Hoverboards don't need a Torx Screwdriver as the back casing is secured by standard screw which only require a cross-head Phillips screwdriver

Archived