Temperature warning (ACM 2)

Hello,

I've been practicing an idling today. At start I was worry, not to stress the wheel too much, but as I get into it, I realized it's been over 15 minutes. So just to be sure, I stopped, kept the wheel on, and opened the app. After like 10 seconds after app has opened, temperature beeping has started (first time, that happened to me). I had 80 celsius at that moment.

My guess is, I have just hit the 80 as I stopped. Hopefully, it didn't start the warning only after the app has connected.

My question is, could this incident badly impact condition of the wheel? Could some wires already start to melt together? I wouldn't even thought about that, but I have seen some time ago a video from @Marty Backe burning his ACM riding a long steep hill. Does it makes sense to open the wheel and check the wiring? I would rather not, but safety first. Though if I remember Marty has actually some trouble identifying those two cables as, they were wrapped together. It took some guess work and sharp tools. So I wouldn't be able to see anything wrong just by looking at what's visible right?

I left the wheel to cool down, took pretty long time. Then out for some temperature test. I couldn't get over 50 celsius at any point. Took a ride uphill 10 miles. Mildly hot summer day. Though in the woods the air flow was much cooler, so that may also helped to keep the temp down. So that probably proves I have never even closely reach the temperature that high and that worries me a bit. I'm riding pretty fast and cut off is the boogeyman. I hope single incident like that can't affect "a mint condition", right? Right? ?

You have nothing to worry about. Usually, once you stop riding the wheel (zero airflow from the wheel) the temperature will climb. Just a couple of days ago I was idling on the Z10 to get it to overheat (80-degrees).

Gotway wheels overheat at ~79-degrees Celsius.

There's a huge difference between the control board / MOSFET temperature and wire temperature. When my wheel self-destructed (and others) it occurred because I has pumping an extreme amount of current thru the motor wires. This can only happen when your motor is under a lot of stress (climbing an extended very steep hill). In that case the wire insulation can actually melt yet the control board temperature not be at extremes. BTW, the latest generation of Gotway wheels should be much less susceptible to melting insulation because they are using thicker gauge wiring. 

The control board temperate can reach max temperature under moderate load during very hot weather, or moderate load for an extended period of time.

I overheat my various wheels lots of times. And I ride with my wheels for extended periods where the control board temperatures are in the 70's. Nothing to worry about. The reason the wheel overheats and kicks you off (via tilt-back) is to protect the wheel from damage.

You have nothing to worry about and no need to open the wheel.

Archived