Hoverboard charger

Zack Pollardd

I have a 42 volt hover board and i lost the charger but i got my hands on a 24v charger the hoverboard was completely dead but i found a way to hook up the 24 volt charger the light turned red to let me know it was charging it will charge up but i want to know if it will just take longer to charge 

This is a Hoverboard question, so I have moved it to the hoverboard section.

3 hours ago, Zack Pollardd said:

I have a 42 volt hover board and i lost the charger but i got my hands on a 24v charger

You clearly do not understand how these batteries work which makes what you are doing very dangerous.

A 42 Volt battery is likely to be a 10 cell lithium Ion battery (although you haven’t said and we cannot know for sure.) If it is LiIon, It is charged by voltage and must be charged up to 42 Volts to be fully charged. It will be entirely empty at around 33 volts so a 24 Volt charger will do absolutely nothing except possibly discharge the battery even further and kill it. I.e. there is a real danger that, if the charger does not have reverse protection on its output, that you are pumping current into it which could cause the charger to catch fire.

What is particularly worrying is that you say the red light came on. With a charger so far below the correct voltage, no current should be flowing from the charger and, on Lithium Ion chargers, the red light is simply an indication that a significant current is flowing. So either this 24 Volt charger isn’t even a Lithium Ion charger or you are pumping current out of the battery into the charger. 

Either way you seriously risk having either the charger or the battery catch light. At the very least if you discharge the battery below 2.5 volts per cell (so probably 25 volts for this battery if it is LiIon) you will permanently damage it and make it useless.

NEVER, EVER, PLUG AN INCORRECT CHARGER INTO A LITHIUM BATTERY UNLESS YOU FULLY UNDERSTAND THOSE CELLS. YOU RISK A SERIOUS FIRE IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND AT THE LEAST WILL RUIN THE BATTERY AND/OR CHARGER.

Archived