Classic Black and White Movies and Oldies

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I'm always around... lurking in the shadows... ready to pounce on any EUC weaknesses and failures... :ph34r:  ^_^

Black and White is one of those lost arts that should be revisited.  There just a certain character to it that makes it quite appealing for some reason when it's factored down grey scale.  I don't know what it is.  Ah maybe I'm just too nostalgic for the "good ol' days" that weren't actually so good at times (Great Depression, WWI, WWII, etc).  Films like Top Hat sure were able to cheer people up in the theatres when reality was much more bleak.

There's tremendous subtlety in good black and white.  Color is often garish and simple, and can distract from all you can do with shape and light on a simpler palette.  Color and black and white are almost separate art forms in a peculiar way.

Wow that must have been an amazing breakthrough back then.  Imagine when there were no colour photos around, and there was only black and white movies/pictures.  I had a black and white TV as a kid to watch with the one single extension antenna.  It's funny how kids likely will never experience that.  I guess they might transition from HD to 3D movies and then VR as their memorable experiences.  How times have changed!  :popcorn:

15 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Wow that must have been an amazing breakthrough back then.  Imagine when there were no colour photos around, and there was only black and white movies/pictures.  I had a black and white TV as a kid to watch with the one single extension antenna.  It's funny how kids likely will never experience that.  I guess they might transition from HD to 3D movies and then VR as their memorable experiences.  How times have changed!  :popcorn:

There's nothing like seeing the old masters at black and white on a big screen theater.  Then the well done examples of those movies by the real masters of light suddenly assume their proper glory.  I saw tons of black and white movies when I was a kid, but I had no idea who beautiful they were until I saw them on the big screen.

I'm disappointed at the reduced color palette (and increased price) of 3D movies.  I'll always opt for the fuller color of the non-3D when lucky enough to be given the choice.

Unfortunately, in my small city the local theater blares obnoxious commercials on a loop before movies at a volume so overwhelming I find the theater experience deeply unpleasant today. 

Archived